Inside a flavor laboratory where new tastes are invented

They don’t call me Ol’ Tenticle Tongue fer nothin’!

(They don’t call you that!!!)

3 Likes

I’m quite perverse.

*lolz

But if they did

3 Likes

It’s aspirational :smiley:

2 Likes

Inspirational?

:wink:

2 Likes

You’re doing things to me. Uncomfortable things.

5 Likes

Sorry 'bout that; I’ll behave…

4 Likes

Please dont.

5 Likes

*lolz

5 Likes

Rubik’s cubes with hot, flat and wet sides, spot colors for two favorite fallow crop alternate chains, and a hyperlocal consumer confidence index on the sixth.

2 Likes

Ranch, rhaunch, rayah’unch, runch and ranch-style, in sunflower, bunker fuel or bacon bases.

3 Likes

me too, burnt musty chunks is my favorite ben and jerry’s flavor!

:clap: applause!! :clap:

3 Likes

1 Like

I think you’re joking, but I can think of food and preparations (aged meat, cheese, fermented Asian dishes) where I enjoy that.

Always relevant:

3 Likes

Is that a proven fact? It’d be rather difficult to grow shallow rooted-crops ON skyscrapers, or were you thinking of skyscrapers with grow-lamps inside and no direct sun?

I’m curious what sci fi options we’d have beyond unrealistic architectural renderings.

Now that I mention it, I’d also love to see a comparison of idealistic renderings and the dumps some people give in the final product.

You don’t put plant on skyscrapers, you build skyscrapers for plants. If the argument is, “there isn’t enough horizontal arable land”, then let’s go vertical.

Eta

Yeah, clad the sucker with PV panels, have enormous tanks of fast breeding fish at the top. Gravity fed irrigation all the way down, carrying the nutrient rich fish water to the plants. Compost dead fish in a secondary tank. And pump water up to the top.

Led lighting, minimal HVAC, and most power is taken care of by solar.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting idea. I wonder what the optimal height would be. There has to be a point where buildings would shade out other buildings. The amount of horizontal space for solar panels could be a limiting factor as well. (Where did I put my entropy calculator?)

4 Likes

The important point is you can build on non arable or nutrient poor land. You don’t build these suckers in central valley CA.

I should come up with some drawings.

3 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic.

1 Like

The problem with talking about flavours in descriptive terms is that you simply don’t have precise, objective descriptors for your experience. My co-workers and spouse went through sensory evaluation training at one point. The first step is to subject the participants to a battery of standardized chemical compounds with specific terminology associated with each, to establish a common baseline of terms. This isn’t fun – the scents/tastes are very intense and overwhelming. There were something like 38 of these, and spouse was feeling quite queasy by the end.

But then you get into the combining of these. This is where terms like “barnyardy” can be quite positive. In fact, “barnyardy” is mild compared to… “catty.” As in, the scent of tomcat piss. Which, once again, isn’t always a negative! It’s all a question of proportions and expectations.

as an aside, “flavour” probably doesn’t mean what you think it does: Flavour in the sensory evaluation world is the combination of aroma and taste. Want to see the difference between flavour and taste? That one’s a personal favourite – pun not intended for once. Put a pinch of cinnamon powder on your tongue. Now do the same thing, but do it while holding your nose shut. To the vast majority of people the cinnamon will taste exactly like sugar. The combination of taste and aroma, that is the familiar flavour of cinnamon.

Precisely the case. When the Wired site choked on my AdBlock plugin, blacklisting them in ScriptSafe (all under Windows/Chrome) solved the problem.

3 Likes