Inside Edition report: Trump International Hotel and other NYC hotels aren't changing bedsheets between guests

Hmmm?

Not saying that this is “FAKE NEWS”. And being an outsider of the States and not knowing the integrity of Inside Edition, some questions:

Is it a concern that a TV journalistic report with a premise/agenda and an intricate setup got exactly the result that they were after?

How did they go about getting the same room under two different guises over consecutive nights without raising suspicion?

Having been a cleaner myself, wouldn’t it be easier to change the bedding then to try and make it ‘look’ fresh?

I always tip the cleaners by leaving a cash note under the pillow.

2 Likes

This was the first thing that occurred to me. I’m suspicious that they were 3 for 3 on this, it reminds me of high school science lab reports that we other kids in the class would hand in, after fudging the data.

I was in a hotel 10 days ago. If the sheets and pillowcases weren’t changed then they were certainly pressed since the previous guest.

Having said that, I agree with @Mister44 on the comforters; I worked in a fairly high-end hotel many years ago and know that they didn’t change them in those days. I also am not surprised that they did not wipe down the toilet handle and thermostat. In the hotel I was just in the TV remote was sealed in a bag, which I thought was a nice touch.

It might have been the same bag as the person before you.

1 Like

Sure – doesn’t much matter to me, since I didn’t touch it anyway – but why bother? The effort to make the place convincingly pretend-clean isn’t much more than for the real deal, and it isn’t like the cost of a new bag is coming from the housekeeper’s salary.

What if we sleep really close to each other so there’s no space left betw— oh.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a good way to tell if the sheets in a hotel room have been changed since the last guest. I mean, aside from inspecting them closely for hair and such …

2 Likes

4 Likes

Is that like, a portable black light?

5 Likes

Yep. 

1 Like

I don’t mind if you use words, you know.

It’s okay, it should be pretty easy to Google an explanation of what that does with bedsheets.

1 Like

By the time I’ve pulled the covers off (upon arrival) and yanked the bedsheets off (upon departure), at least I know the nextperson is probably getting fresh sheets.

2 Likes

FWIW, they seem to have done exactly the same sting 4 years ago:

I wish there was some way to verify the IE edition story, it seems so pat. (Although this flight attendant claims to have seen this happen too.)

tenor

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is weird but I’ve found when I was cleaning an accommodation bed when single it was always nice to snuggle up in the left over warmth from the guests. Yes there was DNA everywhere but I think, what the hell, this is part of the joy of human intimacy, even if it’s second hand.

Perhaps this is very much a “first world problem”… needing a lot more thoughtful comments…

1 Like

Time to rework an old classic?

1 Like

How’s this?

“The Princess and the Pee”

5 Likes

Reasons we’ve run small (25’) RVs in US and Canada for 25 years:

• Camping, we tired of sleeping on the ground.
  • RVs can go places that lack lodgings.
  • Most RV camps are cheaper than most lodgings.
  • We’re comfortable with our seats, bed, dining, etc.
  • No hauling luggage into lodgings.
  • We used to travel with RV-ready cat and dogs, difficult when seeking decent lodging.
  • And yes, safe distancing is easy.

We’ve put off travel this year as we’d rather avoid intubation after careless contact. We still change sheets regularly…

2 Likes

I’m guessing they tried a whole lot of hotels and these three were the worst offenders. I bet they went into this thinking “Someone will miss something”, and they were proven right.

As someone who travelled every three weeks for five years, I can tell you this is pretty trivial to do if you call the hotel and ask. I used to do this all the time booking my preferred rooms, and having the corporate part of my trip booked by the office, then staying over the weekend and booking into the same room afterwards.

A simple “Is room X available from Y to Z?” would tell you if the room was available, then you just call in and ask for that room for date Y, then call again asking for that room for date Z. In a large hotel chain the chance of talking to the same person for each reservation was near zero anyway.

You’re saying stripping down a bed is easier than making up a slept-in bed?

Based on this video, I wonder how many follow-up guests found a random gift of money under their pillows!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.