Interesting look at Korea's massive counterfeit streetwear culture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/28/interesting-look-at-koreas-m.html

4 Likes

Baeg-in Brit telling South Koreans to look to their own culture instead of imitating Western designers. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, I can’t get too exercised over counterfeits of shoddily made clothing sourced from developing-world sweat shops. Tomato, tomate.

1 Like

Maybe it’s my age, didn’t find those fashion trends engaging.

3 Likes

Um, I’m lost.

1 Like

I’ve not heard of any of those “hyped” labels. Does this make me a bad consumer?

2 Likes

Nah - just means you’re probably not in touch with the various cultural groups that would display or care about those brands. The first one they mention, Supreme, is repped a lot in modern hip-hop and was birthed by and be instantly recognizable in skater culture. The video is presented by A Bathing Ape (BAPE), a Japanese streetwear company that recently found rise and popularity here in the US, and also helped as a conduit for American streetwear brands to trickle back to Asia.

From Wikipedia:

A Bathing Ape has also collaborated with many other famous brands such as Pepsi, Coca-Cola, MAC, Comme des Garçons, Undercover, Neighborhood, mastermind Japan, Supreme, Stüssy, Carhartt, Casio and artists such as Biggie Smalls, Beastie Boys, Pharrell, UNKLE, Kanye West, A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg, Kid Cudi, Juelz Santana, Pusha T, KAWS, Kreayshawn, Linkin Park, Gary Panter, Big Sean, Lil’ Wayne, Chris Brown, Flatbush Zombies, Travis Scott, Domo Genesis, and Keith Ape.

Champion was huge in the 90s, and was pretty much ubiquitous. It’s just now making a comeback.

2 Likes

Gah! Now that’s going to be stuck in my head all day! Thanks a lot! :wink:

3 Likes

I clothes shop on aliexpress* and it’s amusing at how ‘Korean’ has become a ubiquitous descriptor like urban or punk.

*hey, if I’m buying Chinese made, might as well buy direct

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.