Inventory of items seized in FBI raid on Trump's Florida compound

They were planted.

And if they weren’t planted, I already returned them.

And if I didn’t already return them, they were mine anyway.

And if they weren’t mine, they were secured.

And if they weren’t secured, they weren’t important.

And if they were important, they weren’t that important.

And if they were that important, I declassified them.

And if I didn’t declassify them, it’s not my fault.

And if it’s not my fault, I can’t be prosecuted.

And if I am prosecuted, it’s unprecedented and a witch hunt.

In any case, I definitely haven’t sold any of them or shown them to anyone or lost any of them. Trust me.

17 Likes

Smiley says…
“Moscow rules, Donald old boy, Moscow rules. Copy then burn the original. All folders go in the burn bag too. Don’t want the Americans to think we are chumps, do we?”

I had something to do with documents at a similar level in an earlier job. At the end of the day, all classified documents went into the safe. You might re-use a classified folder to put another classified document in, but you would not leave it out of the safe, even if it was empty. If you stamped ‘TOP SECRET’ on a blank piece of paper to make sure the stamp was working, you shredded the paper. If you did this and kept your desk tidy, you could not leave anything classified on your desk by accident.

11 Likes

I mean, even at a municipal level. I used to ride a sheriff’s dispatch desk for a few months, and everything you printed was shredded at the end of your shift.

12 Likes

What a great reply. Thank you for that.

re: Geo Smiley - My BF & I watched the original series before we watched the Gary Oldman film.
“Percy Alleline” has become a sort of swear word w/us.

3 Likes

Well, there we have it. See, the contents of the folders were all properly destroyed, but then there were all these leftover folders sitting around in the recycling bin, and rather than let perfectly-good folders go to waste, he decided to bring them home and re-use them there rather than buying a whole box of brand-new folders. An environmental hero. Clearly.

6 Likes

By the end of this, his lawyers’ lawyers will have lawyers.

10 Likes

It’s fucking lawyers all the way down!

10 Likes

IIRC, the folders themselves are unclassified, and are unmarked, so that they can be reused.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2009-title32-vol6/html/CFR-2009-title32-vol6-sec2003-24.htm

I like what Oldman did with the character, and thought his physical acting was brilliant in creating a “disappearing man” character. Oldman’s got a pretty distinctive face, and he was able to “find his dark” (opposite of how actors are trained to “find their light”) in a way that made me forget what he looked like while I was looking at him. Noice.

But if I had to pick one for a prolonged deserted island stay: the BBC version wins, of course.

2 Likes

Mark Strong was also magnificent, as usual.

But yeah. Sir Alec Guinness FTW.

2 Likes

As a fan of character actors, I loved watching both TTSS and Smiley’s People and seeing all the “fresh faces” like Alan Rickman and Patrick Stewart.

3 Likes

Smiley’s People was indeed amazing!

3 Likes

This is a delightful story - Sir Alec’s Anonymous Face. Told by Ian Richardson.

5 Likes

Wonderful! :smiley:

3 Likes

Richardson was a great Anthony Blunt in “Blunt”, alongside Anthony Hopkins as Guy Burgess. Not quite as good as James Fox playing Blunt in “A question of attribution” (with Prunella Scales as the Queen), but still fun.

Ok, apologies for going OT…

2 Likes

Ah, Ian Richardson. Yet another sexy Scotsman.

3 Likes

You might think that. I couldn’t possibly comment.

3 Likes

This woman is a soulless ghoul. Seeing the soulless laugh is truly horrifying.

7 Likes

I can only read the first paragraph due to the paywall but this doesn’t sound great…

7 Likes

Gift link - Enjoy!

Errr…perhaps not “enjoy”, but have at it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes