Iowa State Senator quits the Republican party

He’s done it by appealing to the lowest common denominator of those “diverse” factions. The bottom of each barrel, as it were.

5 Likes

It hasn’t changed very much lately. Still as ugly as ever, still with the dog whistles.

2 Likes

Is he up for re-election this year?

Maybe he has a spine, or maybe he’s afraid of Trump screwing the GOP down the board come November.

1 Like

Given that the Republican party has been a toilet of racist, sexist, misogynistic (not to mention religiously intolerant) bullshit for a long time now, I feel like what’s really pissing off the Republicans with Trump is how effortlessly he gets away with the laziest possible demagoguery when it’s wrapped up in childish bullying. He just says the equivalent of “I’ll wave my magic wand and solve that problem” and people buy it - he doesn’t have to address - or even be aware of! - the facts, make any sort of argument or even come up with any kind of policy and people lap it up anyways. Meanwhile the rest of the Republicans have had to work at their dog whistles and to come up with actual policy that they then had to try hard to convince people would benefit them (when it wouldn’t) - no wonder they’re angry with him!

21 Likes

I bet you could get Jill Stein to wear a tie if that’s what it took to become president.

6 Likes

When told of Johnson’s comments Trump said, “Holy Smokes yeah! I never thought of that angle - come down on the Jews. What a great idea. Thanks Johnson!” (sotto voce to aide, “Johnson - is that a Jewish name?”)

6 Likes

As I watched the upper echelons of the Republican Party all queuing up to kiss Trump’s ringpiece, I kept telling myself that there must be someone left in the party with some shreds of integrity. Apparently Senator Johnson is it.

13 Likes

Tronald Dump
dook a tump
’lwas a tump
o’ Tronald Dump

2 Likes

I too am amazed that it’s taken so long for someone to desert the ship.

4 Likes

“Rich racist white men” aren’t one of the factions?

4 Likes

13 Likes

The Republican “I deal”, I’d say.

1 Like

Not letting go of your cynicism is unfair for everyone. That’s why you do it.

I just made that up. You can tell right.

2 Likes

Even better, can we found the Triceratops National Party?

2 Likes

You’re gonna have problems from all us die-hard Anklyosaurists if you do.

5 Likes

Absolutely. In fact I think if you ask them they’ll be quite happy to tell you they’re the faction. :grinning:

" I got your three branches of government right here."

10 Likes

Right. But he had no problem being in the same party with fellow Iowans Chuck Grassley, Steve King and Joni Ernst.

Thank you, Iowa State Senator David Johnson!

6 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. He’s running on that ticket and he’s gotten their support. They’ve spent years playing a lovely dog whistle symphony of bigotry. This is their “chickens coming home to roost moment”.

10 Likes