Is it illegal to get your dog high?

Originally published at: Is it illegal to get your dog high? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Seems unfair given that people get their cats high all the time without facing legal jeopardy or social stigma but at least the cats aren’t getting drugged without their consent.

7 Likes

That describes my dog, without the THC.

So, again, a cat? That’s practically a day ending in Y here.

9 Likes

Indeed, it’s so socially acceptable to get your cat high that a popular children’s movie franchise did a scene about it and it wasn’t even controversial.

7 Likes

A “small number of reported deaths.” I’m guessing that number is in fact zero. Another urban myth, struggling to give birth to a moral panic, with the usual assistance of gullible journalists…

3 Likes

Here’s the academic paper claiming deaths:

Even though some deaths (n = 16) were reported in association with cannabis toxicosis, the presence of confounders such as toxins, and underlying conditions cannot be ruled out, emphasizing the need for rigorous controlled laboratory studies to investigate this important issue.

2 Likes

Catnip, how does that work?

2 Likes

I’ve offered my cat a joint before, a turn with my pipe… he refused… not interested. Good for him. But I certainly won’t grab him by the face and exhale into his nose.

2 Likes

My dog ain’t down with the weed…
He already got his own vices…

Look at his face - “You lookin’ at my fookin’ pint?”
:slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

One problem has been from people dropping the end of their joint in a park, then some dog on a walk eats it.

1 Like

Everyone enjoys a pint now and then, but crossword puzzles? Now that will lead him straight to dens of iniquity!

7 Likes

If eating a little roach like that is enough to affect a dog then I really feel for Chong’s labrador.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t believe everything you see on the internet.

He made a right fuckin’ mess of 7 across.

4 Likes

Does the dog cook the joint in butter before eating? Because at least in humans that would be needed to get an adverse reaction.

Who was the crossword setter?

Was it Dogberry.

Shed is known in the non-crosswording world as John Young. He has been setting cryptic and prize puzzles for the Guardian since the 1980s and sets as Dogberry for the Financial Times

2 Likes

Not true, your liver (and that of a dog) can convert raw THC just fine, it just takes more steps.

1 Like

I’ve occasionally accidentally rattled my canister of gummies when I pick it up and that certainly gets the attention of my cats, but they always look so disappointed when I show them what I’m having. It’s a very clear look of betrayal with “Those are not Greenies.” Poor cats.

As has already been mentioned, how do you differentiate that from normal, every day, cat behavior? My boys were zipping around the house like mad things this morning and apparently pouncing on gremlins or something. I’m quite sure it wasn’t a reaction to any drug. Also: you’ve just described their exact reaction to catnip.

Ah. Now we’re on to something, but let’s get a nice healthy dose of panic before we start considering an actual cause, shall we?

1 Like

Fat Freddy’s Cat would like a word. :wink:

Don’t you hate it when you spend your last $75 on catnip?

3 Likes