Is there a seed in this avocado?

Originally published at: Is there a seed in this avocado? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I’m going with no.

14 Likes

I’m going with both. I suspect that it’s an aligned double exposed image of the avocado with the seed and the avocado without the seed.

Or some similar photographic trick.

3 Likes

You can see the damage to the flesh where it was pried out, on the right side.

11 Likes

I’m going with seed. There are a few little bumps that you typically see on the pit that don’t show up on the avacado fruit. As for the damaged flesh- thats just someone using a dull knife to halve the avacado.

It’s a pit.

(Do I win?)

14 Likes

Hard no.

2 Likes

or some flesh from the removed half stuck to the pit. :scream:

1 Like

Nein :avocado:

2 Likes

avocado pits are usually much darker than that. the lack of contrast suggests there is no pit

4 Likes

As long as I don’t look, both answers are correct…

14 Likes

Based on the lighting… I’d say yes. Even then the contextual clues are somewhat ambiguous

I see a white seed with gold stripes

13 Likes

My guess is that there are many seeds in that avocado because someone has removed its pit and replaced it with a fruit. Not certain which fruit though…

ETA: Notice that the roundness in the center of the avocado seems too light to be an avocado pit, so it doesn’t seem to be that. But it doesn’t seem to be a mere hole because there seems to be an object there with bits of the real avocado smeared lightly on the right side of the object.

And the object seems to cast a slight shadow on the bottom portion. The pit was removed and then replaced with something else.

Something vague and sinister…

2 Likes

I also based my conclusion on the lighting. But I definitely see no seed. This is similar to the crater illusion:

2 Likes

There is no avocado.

15 Likes

If you slowly rotate the halved 'cado, I bet the “seed” follows you.

2 Likes

5 Likes

It’s a vase, not two faces.

5 Likes

I’d say there is one.