Is there anything positive to say about Trump's presidency?

So perverse. Much ugly.

(I have digressed to doge because every minute so far has been filled with utter awful).

7 Likes

Ontario Provincial Police?

4 Likes

Grab it by the OPP

4 Likes

Are you studying for your Canadia Citizenship test?

5 Likes

Mais, bien sure!

7 Likes

Itā€™s election gave the Canadian Immigration Website a much needed stress test.

7 Likes

2021? I hope itā€™s quicker than that.

5 Likes

Yeah, but VP Dominionistā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™ll take him.

Heā€™s setting domestic policy anyway, and at least he is sane, after a fashion.

2 Likes

Heā€™s not officially in charge, and youā€™re not female. Guess Iā€™m insinuating you might have less to lose, dirty ferā€™iner or not.

9 Likes

Fair enough. But given what deal Trump reportedly offered Kasich, I suspect Pence is running a lot behind the scenes anyway. And he might be more inclined to listen to saner (hah!) voices like McConnell and Ryan. Christ. Even clutching at straws is fucking depressing.

But I think Trumpā€™s grasp on reality is pretty goddamn limited.

9 Likes

Which means opposed to abortion, war, and the death-penalty.

And the Pope has said that we should not fixate on abortion alone, but tell that to my in-laws. I told my father-in-law that he wasnā€™t pro-life at all, that he was just anti-abortion. Iā€™ve learned not to do that again.

13 Likes

Granted. I suspect if POTUS Actual understood what abortion is and why one might want one, he wouldnā€™t be banging on about it so. Seems unlikely that he didnā€™t pay (or threaten) women he slept with to ā€œtake careā€ of unwanted foetuses at any point in the past, though.

1 Like

My hope since election night has been that Trump will cause Republicans with integrity - and I, perhaps naively, donā€™t think Iā€™m being overly generous in suggesting that there are some - to stand up and take action. In particular, John McCain - someone I donā€™t agree with about pretty much anything but whom I do (did) respect, despite Palin.

The big name Republicans, including McCain, have unfortunately already proven that they are all spineless and, IMO, unfit for public office, having proved that they are not serving the people but are primarily looking out for their reelection by gerrymandered idiots.

Thereā€™s still hope for a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington moment - Mr. Smith fights against his own party in the film - from Republicans who arenā€™t household names. Maybe McCain will reach a breaking point and do it himself.

I wouldnā€™t bet on it, but hey, itā€™s possible.

As others have already written, thereā€™s little hope for positives beyond positive reactions to Trumpā€™s actions and policies in the future. At first, I was dismayed by how far progressive politics would be set back - and they will be - but the backlash will be truly historic.

We will have a few years where things get really bad - thereā€™s no way this isnā€™t going to be a disaster. It feels like Trump is trying to make his campaign rhetoric about how America sucks actually come true.

However, once the average American realizes what a bunch of spineless, idiotic clowns the Republicans really are, the Republicans will lose their congressional majorities. A progressive will win the next election and with the overwhelming support of a progressive congress we will see the end of gerrymandering and the electoral college, weā€™ll replace Trumpcare with universal single-payer healthcare (FFS), we can improve public education and make higher education affordable for everyone, we can even end homelessness and abject poverty with universal basic income, better public housing, etc. - if we want. These problems, at least for us here in America, are really not difficult to solve - and the long-term gains pay for the short-term expenses.

Hereā€™s hoping, anyway.

11 Likes

I admire your optimism! :smiley_cat::smile_cat::joy_cat::scream_cat::crying_cat_face:

10 Likes

Not letting Trump kill that, although he does seem to be trying.

7 Likes

Precisely.

7 Likes

So, youā€™re saying that if he had greater understanding, he would have less hypocrisy?

Thou art an extreme optimist.

5 Likes

Iā€™m hinting that he really hates being embarrassed, and even a simpleton with political ambitions understands that child-by-mistress is a reallybadthing with the Jesus crowd.

5 Likes

Canā€™t know what you posted, but it mustā€™ve been pithy!

2 Likes