Is this a tiger on the loose in North Carolina? (video)

Originally published at: Is this a tiger on the loose in North Carolina? (video) | Boing Boing

Why do folks tend to fail at comparing relative size with the underbrush when photos like these are taken? :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

Once again, probably just a Savannah Cat. It’s not Logan, though, he’s too busy snoozing and he stays inside.

14 Likes

archer-ocelot

7 Likes

I guess they’ve never tried to draw? I dunno I find the same thing baffling. Like do they look at that and think “wow those leaves are so big they’re almost the size of a tiger’s head!”

9 Likes

The Dumbening worked, too well.

9 Likes

images_a

11 Likes

This is becoming like @Mindysan33’s Bun Alert, isn’t it? I’m pretty darn sure you’ve posted that Archer GIF immediately after someone posts a Savannah Cat pic for a few years now. :rofl:

7 Likes

Sure, sure, it’s probably just a regular housecat, but “all registered tigers were accounted for”? Did they go around and check? Or was it just some phone calls, i.e. “Hey, kind-of-person-who-owns-a-tiger, is your tiger still there? As the kind of person who would own a tiger, you wouldn’t lie about that, would you?” (Or, worse, relying on self-reporting by tiger owners?)

5 Likes

Of course all registered tigers are accounted for. You don’t actually think that rogue, deep state tigers walk around with proper documentation, do you? Get a brains sheeple. /s of course

7 Likes

Just a small point: this happened in Rockwell, Rowan County, North Carolina. This is roughly 40 or so miles from where I live.

6 Likes

Unregistered Tiger

Calling this for my sock puppet account name.

6 Likes

Are you missing a tiger? Perhaps you should check.

6 Likes

Not massive enough - tigers have BIG shoulders.

4 Likes

Correct.

7 Likes

Rockwell NC is about 40ish miles from the NC Zoo in Asheboro, and about 85 miles from the Carolina Tiger Rescue in Pittsboro. I’d imagine those are the places they asked about missing tigers.

5 Likes
1 Like

You’d think so, but 95% of tigers in the US are in private hands (not zoos or actual rescues), and in North Carolina, tiger ownership is unregulated.

There are, from what I’ve read, about 4000 tigers remaining in the wild. There are more than that in the US. I’ve seen numbers ranging from 5000 to 10,000, because apparently no one has a freaking clue how many tigers are in private hands here.

3 Likes

No need; my only “tigers” are small hairy white canines called Benny and Rosie:

4 Likes

AAAaaAAAHH wolves!!!

2 Likes