Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

… I have been using myself as a human shield :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes
1 Like

Mistakes were made…

archive.is version

Arguing for the one-state solution under Israel?:

Israel’s latitude to yet again determine the future of life in Gaza also undeniably demonstrates that there is only one effective sovereign between the river and the sea. There is no clear path from this moment to a future in which the international community recognizes this one-state apartheid reality and acts accordingly, but it is undeniable that a rare moment of change is underway — one opened up by the understanding, based on the past week, that there is no going back to the previous order.

I suppose if Palestinians self-annexed themselves to Israel and got citizenship, they’d likely be able to elect a majority of the Knesset and make whatever laws they wanted. Israel would likely freak and try to deny them citizenship or reject self-annexation to prevent it.

4 Likes

The only way for Palestinians to get citizenship would be for Israel to grant it to them. That would only happen if Israel annexed the Occupied Territories, making the Palestinians non-citizen subjects in an undeniable apartheid state, and Israel faced irresistible pressure from the “international community” (i.e. the United States) to grant equal citizenship.

ETA: The argument that a two state solution is impossible and one state already exists de facto has been gaining traction in recent years.

Israeli democracy consists of a permanent structure made up of two governing systems — one for the Israeli citizens (including Palestinian citizens of Israel), and another, authoritarian system for Palestinian non-citizens. People argue whether this is the result of advanced planning or the outcome of a historical coincidence. Regardless of the answer, there is no doubting both the existence and the surprising resilience of this model.

The occupation has been going on for nearly 53 years. The Palestinian Authority was born 25 years ago. The median age in Israel is a little under 30; in Gaza it is under 20. In other words, this is the only reality most Israelis and Palestinians know: The one-state reality.

2 Likes

Yes, whatever the specifics of this case, that brings the horror being faced by the Palestinians home. This is what happens when you have a decades long campaign dehumanize people. You end up with elected leaders that take this kind of disproportional action in reaction.

Or, more likely, they would end up with second class citizenship to ensure that wouldn’t happen… Just like Black Americans weren’t able to do that, after the imposition of Jim crow in places where they did have majorites.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Marge is way more off her rocker today with several tweets about an insurrection today. She’s got a 15 minute video of her walking around the scary people.

There was a protest not an insurrection.

4 Likes

Such an embarrassment to my state. What an awful person she is…

4 Likes

There’s tons of these out there.

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Hamas itself wants there to be just one state from the sea to the river, right? They just want it to be an Islamic state called Palestine.

I can see the argument that it’s more feasible to accomplish that if you start with a single state called Israel that you take over from within, especially with everyone comparing it to South African apartheid.

Israel, of course, does not want a one state solution because they fear that outcome.

Israeli opinions vary. Netanyahu, who is unfortunately a rather important voice, has called for there to be no chance of a Palestinian state.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Some stuff I have found useful:

2 Likes

Israel has a one state solution: Palestine does not exist. There is only Israel. Gradually the land will be ethnically cleansed and the empty space will become part of greater Israel.

4 Likes

… until last week Likud thought the status quo of the half-a-state solution, with Israel on one side and terra nullius on the other, worked fine :thinking:

2 Likes

Plenty of right wing Israelis want one state from the river to the sea with no Arabs in it. They want to expel all the Palestinians to Egypt and Jordan to avoid having to choose between apartheid and giving citizenship to Palestinians.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes