"It doesn’t mean anything to me now" — Modern Family actor Ed O’Neill to return honorary degree after MAGA election denier named YSU president (video)

Originally published at: Modern Family's Ed O'Neill returns honorary degree

17 Likes

applause4
Bravo, Sir!

33 Likes

That’s some remarkable clarity and honesty. Every now and then someone speaks and cuts through the surreal.

29 Likes

He’s a black belt in jiu jitsu, is humble, and has integrity, what’s not to like?

26 Likes

He was also VERY briefly a Pittsburgh Steeler in 1969 I believe. Who’d have thought Al Bundy would go woke?

15 Likes

A film I really like stars Mr O’Neill, Popeye Doyle. Candy Clark’s in it, too. Edge-of-yr-seat cop/spy drama set in Noo Yawk.

10 Likes

I’ve heard him talk on podcasts, he’s a good storyteller.

8 Likes

That’s a nice bit of quality raconteuring.

I like the shot of Ed O’Neill with his hand tucked in to his black belt. :smile:

12 Likes

Not that him being professional footbal player precludes one from being kind, considerate, and having integrity, and that being “woke” isn’t bad and as far as I’m concerned is the same as being considerate. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Definitely…I just thought the idea of “woke” as is used by those who consider it an insult was funny when juxtaposed with his Bundy character. I’m pleased to read something about a celebrity that is surprising in a positive direction, as opposed to the seemingly endless rounds of milkshake duck the internet provides.

6 Likes

Indeed, and he has some good ones.

10 Likes

Maybe we’ll get lucky and some of the ignorant people out there will think “well, I guess if Al Bundy backs logic, reason, and compassion, maybe I can too”.

18 Likes

I loved when he was covertly playing Al Bundy in an Obama campaign commercial.

2 Likes

Nobody. Not even Ed O’Neill. I remember watching an interview with him. He was very kind, articulate, curious, and had interesting things to say. He also mentioned that Al Bundy is the only character he’s played that he genuinely doesn’t like.

11 Likes

The guy has 22 seasons worth of TV work. Both Married With Children and Modern Family went 11 seasons each. One doesn’t work with ensemble casts for so long without being able to get along with people.

6 Likes

I somehow missed that and will have to track it down.

2 Likes

Get along? Amanda Bearse didn’t invite him to her wedding because she knew he’d make a mockery of it. O’Neill can’t even keep a straight face when he talks about it. Because two women getting married is the funniest thing ever. A woman in a tuxedo is comedy gold!

What a class act.

So… you’re saying that Ed O’Neil is a homophobe, based upon that interview?

4 Likes

So… you’re saying he’s not?

Answering a question with another question is rather poor form.

I don’t yet have enough verifiable info to have an informed opinion; I was asking you to clarify yours.

If it’s too much trouble for you, then never mind.

5 Likes