It looks like Jeff Sessions committed perjury

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/01/it-looks-like-jeff-sessions-co.html

11 Likes

Again…?

35 Likes

In related news: water is reportedly wet

28 Likes

I’m so tired of “appears”, “might have”, “could have”, or “just maybe…” Somebody fucking throw the book at that racist asshole of an elf clown.

46 Likes

elf in jail

48 Likes

Hmmmmm

Sen Franken: “If there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?”

J. Sessions: “Senator Franken, I’m not aware of any of those activities,” Sessions responded. “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I didn’t have — did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

18 Likes

I look forward to the litany of excuses for why lying about this is less serious than lying about a blowjob, which as we all know is an impeachable offense.

57 Likes

I think there is a group of them that’s about one millimeter away from admitting that being a republican puts a person above the law.

32 Likes

Unless you can prove he was aware of it, then he didn’t commit perjury. Also, he answered a different question than the one asked.

8 Likes

Aesthetically, it’s quite beautiful that he architected his own doom by pulling a Raskolnikov…

Sen Franken: “If there was a cannibal on the loose in this administration, what would you do?”
J. Sessions “Senator Franken, I do not dine on human cadavers. I have been called an anthropophaginian at a time or two but I didn’t eat – did not consume all those orphans, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

23 Likes

All we need now is a pious prostitute…

6 Likes

That’s part of what makes his response look super incriminating. It’s like if someone asks you “how’s your wife doing?” and you respond “well I certainly didn’t kill her if that’s what you’re asking.”

42 Likes

It looks like Jeff Sessions committed perjury

23 Likes

Well, the bit about Sessions “shutting down” talk of a meeting with Putin at that gathering will be one of the talking points-- they will says “see? He thought he had stopped attempts to communicate with the Russians!”, but I’m not buying it. Others in the campaign and cabinet were super gung-ho about it, and I doubt it just evaporated after Sessions supposedly “shut it down.” Maybe they just kept him out of the loop, the key will be finding evidence that Sessions knew it was still going on.

6 Likes

What does that have to do with perjury?

4 Likes

Is that like, “… did not have sexual relations with that woman”?

11 Likes

Sessions will suffer no worse fate than any other well connected person who perjured themselves before Congress in this century. No charges, no consequences other than a brief mea culpa tour on the Sunday talk shows. Remember the words of Saint Obama, “look forward, not back.”

5 Likes

Think he’s lying about not being a racist, too?

11 Likes

Lawyers. I’m sure someone who bills lots of $ made the distinction between communication with the Russian government and attempting to communicate with the Russian government. Sessions carefully stuck to the first one, as I recall. Henry IV Part 1:

GLENDOWER
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
HOTSPUR
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?

20 Likes

Doesn’t perjury require specifically lying about it? The new evidence is that there was a request to have a meeting that he apparently ‘shut down’ - this doesn’t specifically require him knowing about ongoing collusion. It could be as easy as Papadopolous coming to him and saying ‘hey we should meet with this person about this stuff’ and Sessions going ‘No.’ In that scenario, Sessions testimony is 100% accurate.

I mean I think Sessions is a stain on America, but law is generally specific and I don’t think this is the big deal that people in this thread seem to think it is, but maybe I’m missing something.

6 Likes