‘It’s Lieutenant Colonel Vindman, please’

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/its-lieutenant-colonel-v.html

8 Likes

Disregarding a person’s military rank is not a good move, Vets won’t forget that.

50 Likes

Even someone with no military experience what so ever, and no clue what any of the ranks mean (i am speaking of myself here) know better than that. Its just rude.
You don’t call your Doctor Mr or Mrs, you don’t call the judge or the police officer Mr or Mrs.

We have built a society where titles matter, no matter how stupid that is, it is the way it is, and there are times where you best adhere to that.

Maybe there are times where it is ok to push back against that, but…Nunes is a jackass. Sorry, Ranking Member jackass.

Also, for fuck sakes congress people, please stop calling women Gentlemen.

29 Likes

I hope SNL gets John Hodgman to play Vindman for the next episode.

35 Likes

Nunes is stupid and arrogant enough not to know that he got burned.

28 Likes

21 Likes

There are some people in this world who Have Their Shit Together. Lt. Col. Vindman is one of those folks.

I’d trust him and Yovanovitch to perform goddamn brain surgery.

25 Likes

Roger That!

6 Likes

Vets shouldn’t forget and neither should anyone else. The witnesses are being dragged through the mud, treated rudely, being all but accused of accepting bribes and lying, and the president accuses them of betrayal. Yet not one has been shown to have not done their jobs and no one tried to interfere. They are following the law, appearing when subpoenaed and telling the truth when asked what they saw and heard and their opinion about what they saw and heard. In other words, they are behaving exactly the same way all of us are expected to.

33 Likes

I haven’t had to have formal conversations with someone that holds a particular title or rank (Dr, Military, etc), but my assumption as someone that doesn’t know would be to ask somehow how they want to be addressed. But Nunes of all people should know because its his part of his job, addressing a vet in such a way is totally intentional and disrespectful. If he didn’t mean to do it intentionally it’s not much of a defense either because as i mentioned its part of his job to interact with people of various ranks and titles.

21 Likes

Oh for fucks sake…now you have Rep. Chris Stewart correcting LtCol Vindman on his correction of Nunes that it is questionable to have civilians call you by your rank. Then he makes it seem that because Nostradumbass was not in the military that he doesn’t see things the same as Vindman.

Wait a second?! First off…Nostradumbass is now the CiC! So he better damn well understand how to speak to and with military personnel. Second…this jackass is now saying “well because he never served…” But aren’t you the assholes who rip into D candidates that military service should be mandatory for Presidents?!?

The god damn fucking moving goal posts by the Republicans is so utterly frustrating!!!

22 Likes

Oh ferchrissakes. . . his name and rank are written on the placard directly in front of him!

Nunes can’t read?

24 Likes

“Mister” is not the preferred nomenclature.

8 Likes

He didn’t thank him for his service either!

8 Likes

the republican calculation to sow doubt rather than persue truth is repulsive.

6 Likes

“I don’t know what the hell kind of unit you’re running here.”

8 Likes

Evangelicals are a lost cause - they’ve already concocted an eschatological delusion that he’s King Cyrus - but one of my hopes is that the Cheeto-in-Chief is successfully alienating his supporters in the armed services.

His cow will tell him. :smiley:

22 Likes

Frauds, when presented with the truth, invariably try to drag it down to their level.

1 Like

you want them to give up just because the facts aren’t on their side!?

wait.

that’d be nice actually.

( it is interesting that the republicans have thrown conservatism under the bus. either they can’t figure how to be conservative in this modern world, or honest conservatism isn’t possible any more. i sometimes wonder which one the republican congress critters believe. )

12 Likes

The whistleblower is not the issue!

3 Likes