Former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis denounces Trump as a threat to America, compares him to Nazis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/former-defense-secretary-jim-m.html

23 Likes

Mad Dog Mattis failed to act when he had the power.

There must be no redemption tour for him.

His recent writings are but a thin veneer, an attempt to avoid the war crimes tribunals that certainly will come after the fall of the crime family.

45 Likes

My brother’s response: “That death machine can eat shit”

25 Likes

… still waiting for Mitch McConnell to see the light.

5 Likes

He already did, they were just in flame form, after he sold his soul to a crossroads demon.

I’m waiting for a Winchester to show up and exorcise his ass

10 Likes

Well, even if he’s a tool, let him be a useful one, before he gets melted down for scrap by the historical junkyard

16 Likes

Yeah maybe we shouldn’t laud Mattis too much for taking so long, but this draws a stark distinction between him and Tom Cotton.

And maybe if we unequivocally laud Mattis now it might encourage others to follow in his footsteps, creating a stampede? If we instead take this opportunity to shit on Mattis, why would others step forward to get their share of shit (from both sides)?

60 Likes

It’s about 17 months too late, but this may be a signal for others to do the same.

21 Likes

…right before the bus hits him…

5 Likes

Or at least follow the light down the tunnel?

3 Likes

How about “You are not forgiven for what you’ve done, but this statement is appreciated and in the right direction”?

41 Likes

Aaaand the drump tweet storm begins in 3…2…1…

5 Likes

With Esper’s dissent today, and now Mattis, maybe these douchebags can start a movement of their own. They need a bunch more ‘people’ to stand up. It doesn’t absolve them of complicity in this administration’s many evils. It does help, though. I quoted ‘people’ because I think they are really lizard-aliens.

14 Likes

Doesn’t quite compete with the open embrace that Lindsey Graham got when he went from Never Trumper to all-in for Trump. I think others on the fence (like Nikki Haley) saw that and thought, sure is great to be appreciated, that’s where I’m going.

4 Likes

The time for talk has passed people.

12 Likes

Meh, “they” don’t give a shit what “we” think.

17 Likes

I agree. But that he and Esper spoke up at all shows that the situation caused by this orange maniac is now so dire that even some of the crapweasels know that it’s time to choose a side. Other crapweasels, like Tom Cotton, are choosing Il Douche, and still others (like Reek Romney) are still trying to get out of making a choice even though it’s undeniably time to do so.

This is the week where no-one can escape clearly answering the question “where do you stand?”. As the song goes, “history has its eyes on you”.

23 Likes

The time for talk is never past - even if there were to be a civil war - all that means is more death until the talking happens.

18 Likes

At the end of the day Mattis is not speaking to any of us. We don’t really care what he says and there is nothing he could say to make amends for any wrongs or ill.

He’s talking to the GOP voters. I applaud him for at least opening his mouth and saying something. That’s far more than Mconnell or Romney has done. If he changes the mind of one right wing voter it’s better than none.

At this stage I am not going to push away anyone who is (in good faith) trying to be some sort of ally.

27 Likes

If there is one silver lining to Fuhrer Profa’s reigning down chemical weapons and projectiles on peaceful protestors, it is that peaceful protest is back in the news and driving discussion. Protest is speech and it is being heard.

7 Likes