Former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis denounces Trump as a threat to America, compares him to Nazis

I’m more surprised Pat Robertson has something to say
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pat-robertson-blasts-trump-lack-211602360.html

8 Likes

I am perfectly content to laud this statement from Mattis while stopping short of lauding Mattis as a person. Likewise, I was perfectly willing to give Romney his due for his decision to become the first US Senator in history to vote in favor of removing a President of his own party, doesn’t mean I’m about to join a Mitt Romney fan club.

36 Likes

Exactly how would you have had him act? And what power? When he was in uniform he was a subordinate and he was under orders. He could have been courtmartialed for insubordination and misconduct if he had spoken out then. When he was SecDef he worked for Trump, not the other way around. If he had spoken out then his only power would have been to be amazed at how quickly he was fired.

Someone who once loyally served Trump to the best of his ability, someone who spent his entire adult life inculcated in the belief that it was his duty to serve no matter how little he personally liked his orders or his bosses, has finally decided that Il Douche has become a such hazard to this country that it is necessary to say things that may help remove him from the American political scene. Despite the fact that you have fantasies of Mattis somehow doing something years ago to magically save America, this is a very positive thing, if only because it might inspire others who used to grovel at Cheetolini’s feet to finally grow or buy morals and spines. Belief in miracles is not helpful. Look at this through political logic.

21 Likes

He’s not trying to be an ally. He couldn’t care less if any party welcomes him with open arms. He’s doing what a good military officer is supposed to do - what any public servant is supposed to do - he is acting within the constraints of the law and in accordance with his conscience.

10 Likes

Trump is just upset he isn’t the center of attention anymore. Instead, an asshole cop is, and now he wants to show everyone he’s an even bigger asshole. Now Mattis wants to get in on it, except he is somehow a voice of reason. I just don’t get it. Who does Trump represent, a bunch of real estate developers? At least Mattis represents the armed forces, who are being considered as a counter to unarmed, non-violent protestors.

2 Likes

I’m warning you, he’s mostly just slag, like all of them. Even melted down they are worthless.

1 Like

The new cover story in The Atlantic by Anne Applebaum is apt

Collaborators operate under a wispy calculus of conformity, self-preservation, the attraction to power, fear, ideological blinders, cynicism, misplaced idealism, faith in institutions … they’re not evil, but they are heavily misguided, and their moral compasses are irreparably damaged.

Luckily the will of the righteous is a great clarifier.

One thing among many I learned from the article was Petain, the Vichy head of France, changed their motto from the iconic “Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite” to
“Travail, famille, patrie” (“Work, family, fatherland”)

I love the stark contrast between these mottos and the guiding principles they represent.

I think it’s fair to say we know which of those mottos Trump would choose.

But it’s good to know, that in times where mankind protests the loudest and clearest, it’s for the former.

As MLK said,
The arc of the moral universe is long , but it bends toward justice. It’s good to know the will of the people to bend it thus is enough to convince a man like Mattis to speak.

May our voices rise and cause others to speak!

11 Likes

Even Mr. 700 club, the hopeless religious apologist jackass is pissed at Trump?

That’s actually an impressive achievement- Trump actually broke Pat’s 4th wall and gave him a glimpse of a sane reality for once.

I’m sure he’ll be back to apropriating his version of “christianity” over decent people again soon though

2 Likes

A little too late here Lap Dog.

It doesn’t absolve him of the rest of his actions and it doesn’t make me think he is a good guy or a hero but we need everyone to come out against Trump. There are actual people (who vote) out there who will look at this and say “if even maddog thinks trump is acting like the nazis maybe I shouldn’t vote for him.”

It would be much better if sitting republicans who actually had something to lose would do the same and it may well be too little to late but I am not going to complain about anyone speaking out about Trump and the rest of the GOP that has fallen in line with his disregard for laws he is sworn to uphold and the rights and lives of those he is supposed to serve.

7 Likes

I can say that I know one person who has renounced the republican party this week, although not specifically because of Mattis. He always hated trump and didn’t vote for him, but still considered himself a republican until this week.

So as much as I can’t understand how it is even possible that you would draw the line here, there is at least one person who did.

5 Likes

No, Mattis wouldn’t have been court-martialed if he spoke out in his position as Secretary of Defense, while also being a flag officer on active duty. That shit is for the junior officers corps and below only.

As a flag officer, he may have been demoted a single paygrade and forced to retire as an O-9 (with full, substantial benefits - natch). He may also have lost a fraction of the inevitable flag officer post-retirement - and extremely lucrative - earning potential, but only a fraction. It’s a fucking gravy train.

No, Mattis had absofickunglutely nothing to lose if he spoke out then, and he knows that. And THAT is what makes his speaking out now a cowardly move.

In short, he’s useless.

2 Likes

You don’t welcome the former Secretary of Defense and a 4 star general speaking out against the presidents actions?

6 Likes
18 Likes

Exactly what does “failed to act” mean?
He was Secretary of Defense.
He either does his job (“acts”) or he resigns.
Within that, he can slow or pocket-veto some of Trump’s worst impulses, and he did do that for the period he was in command.
He is not a quisling like Barr, following every whim – real or anticipated – of Trumps. He was not supine like Pence who like all the others hagiographically praised Trump at Cabinet meetings. He and McMaster and others attempted to “manage” Trump, to the limited extent it was possible, until their times ran out.

As for his current speaking out, the question is: Why now? Surely there have been other opportunities, given Trump’s constant outrages. The Impeachment (that is, what triggered the impeachment: Trump’s attempted bribery of Ukraine) would have been the proper time to let his flag fly.

Well, that would be a reasonable policy for a reasonable president/former employer. But why follow norms for an abnormal president who never follows norms?

6 Likes

He stated, right after resigning, that he did not think it would be appropriate to immediately speak out against his president and former employer. My (entirely subjective) impression is that he was originally planning to stay quiet until Trump was no longer president?

1 Like

Hopefully Boing readers can appreciate and grasp the MASSIVE impact this will have. The regular marines, WORSHIP this General in ways civilians cannot grasp. This . Is. HUGE.

5 Likes

Whatever do you mean, worship?

6 Likes

ummmmmm

Trump is Joffrey

McConnell is Ramsey

1 Like

A quick reminder that Mattis was absolute fucking scum long before he started working for Trump.

8 Likes