Italian woman accidentally given six doses of COVID-19 vaccine

Originally published at: Italian woman accidentally given six doses of COVID-19 vaccine | Boing Boing

3 Likes

injected a 23-year-old woman with an entire bottle of the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.

One of two things will happen, I don’t know which at this point.

tenor

18 Likes

I think you mean this:

24 Likes

or this:

17 Likes

The health worker realized her error after spotting five empty syringes on the table.

Ok, that is not the way they should have known not to give someone a whole bottle of the stuff…

20 Likes

Off to the portal planet we go…(?)

3 Likes

Or this:

11 Likes

I wouldn’t really expect this to cause any serious problems. It’s not a drug. Vaccine are given in the smallest dose that is effective for the majority of people, but that doesn’t mean that larger doses would be harmful, just wasteful. Actually, I found a study in which 31 people were accidentally given ten times more than recommended, and the main side effect was that those people ended up with better immunity than the control group, which received only the recommended dose.

15 Likes

You still keep someone who has been given an overdose in observation though. Better safe than sorry.

8 Likes

I’m a bit baffled by this.

How on earth do you ‘accidentally’ inject someone 6 times in a row without noticing?

Now two, or at an extreme stretch, three times? Maybe… But SIX?

Edit: explained

i am guessing they just filled one entire syringe with the contents of the bottle, which holds 6 doses and should be split into 6 syringes. Still one shot. just with a lot more vax in it.

13 Likes

Username checks out.

19 Likes

Or…

4 Likes

Yes, from the article that’s what happened.

Bad first day on the job for that jabber.

1 Like

Not this?
spock-smiling

4 Likes

Thats what i initially thought, but:

Five empty syringes implies many seperate doses applied not at the same time…

They were still empty syringes, unused syringes.

Not used and empty.

6 Likes

Oh okay, i get you. Makes a LOT more sense now :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It was awkward phrasing, it took me a second to parse too.

7 Likes

She becomes a Marvel superhero.

1 Like