Jailed Proud Boys leader complains that American jails are terrible and he is right

He should have thought about the consequences of his actions before he did them.

I’m sure he’ll go on to be an activist working to make prisons humane.

Oh he’s a proudboy? Scratch that. He’ll just be a pathetic cowardish loser his whole life.

4 Likes

If we didn’t needlessly incarcerate so many people:

We would easily have the funding needed to humanely incarcerate this asshole.

18 Likes

“constantly afraid of violence facilitated by indifferent authorities”

wow, he learned how most of non white America feels!

10 Likes

Yesterday he [begged a judge to reduce that term to 90 days, citing the appalling, dangerous conditions of his imprisonment.

not wrong the big lebowski GIF

14 Likes

No. The US prison system is an obscene exercise in setting up a national chain of suffering factories. Anyone in prison has every right, every excuse, every reason to shout to the heavens about how inhumane they are, whatever they’ve done. We just need to get everyone else on the same wavelength of demanding humane conditions for everyone.

9 Likes

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly, but the graph confuses me. I see a listing for various US states, but I also see line item for the United States by itself which seems to indicate fewer people than either Kansas or South Carolina.

It’s because it shows the rate of incarceration, it looks like per 100000 people.

9 Likes

Ok, that makes sense. I was just thrown a bit without details.

In America, if the government is doing something cruel, that is because the people want the cruelty. They’re happy with it, for the most part.

4 Likes

Also, I think that there must also be part of the top which is cut off. The US rate should be a weighted mean of the states and somewhere near the middle; not near the top with only two moderate sized states above it.

1 Like

I read that as “we absolutely shouldn’t have to have that conversation” rather than “it’s not worth talking about”.

Sadly, so many absolutely basic and sane statements are taken as wild flights of fantasy nowadays.

4 Likes

Proud Boys Leader: Jails in America are terrible. This is intolerable!

Proud Boys Subordinate: But sir, if they made the jails better for us Proud Boys, then they would also have to make them better for people of all races and religions.

Proud Boys Leader: …I suppose they’re not so bad.

4 Likes

Too much self-awareness.

Proud Boys Leader: Jails in America are terrible. This is intolerable!

Proud Boys Subordinate: You’re absolutely right, sir. We will tell the Republicans to demand that we get special jails for us which are comfortable while we await our inevitable release and reward for being loyal martyrs!

Proud Boys Leader: Good man, get on that. Once we’re out of this shithole, make sure they make it even worse for all the scum who belong here, yeah?

6 Likes

I guess “Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time” doesn’t apply to self-righteous bigots. Sad.

5 Likes

Well…he supports other Black and Brown people being subjected to such conditions. He is of African and Cuban descent and has, in the past, claimed to not be a white supremacist because he’s “pretty Brown myself.” And I wouldn’t be surprised if his being made leader of the Proud Boys wasn’t at least part of the reason several local chapters split off from the national group.

6 Likes

[yes and:]

“2A / permitless carry / guns for home- and self-defense” means stockpiling, carrying, displaying guns (whether on a Zoom call or at the local grocery) as well as being ok with active shooter drills in schools, hand-waving and doing nothing about mass shootings, and using guns against people who are deemed to be legit targets for vigilantism.

I’d like to pitch a “never say never” here. The odds look very long right now, I know. But stranger things have happened.

The harder truth is that a lot of white supremacy gangs in lockup end up solidifying the kinds of agenda the Proud Boys have become known for.

6 Likes

True. I think American History X has a lot of people thinking that prison can reform racists, but I’m guessing that sort of thing rarely happens. That’s just not how our prison systems work.

6 Likes

Making the miracle of Malcom X’s insights and autobiography all the more inspiring.

5 Likes

Well, but I think that’s how prison systems work, they consolidate ideologies… Malcolm X probably came off as bright and curious, despite his criminal background. Groups like the NOI and White power organizations use that alienation to give people purpose through “activism”… What is really amazing about X was how he continued to evolve in his thinking until his death. I wish he were around today.

6 Likes

Yes, he’d probably advocate for decent jails for white folks, and shitty jails for everyone else.

1 Like