James Dean, dead for 65 years, will star in a new movie

He could co-star with Jayne Mansfield!

1 Like
3 Likes

My guess is that the producers are using this as a proof of concept for whatever tech they’ll utilise to do this so they can shop it around Hollywood and beyond.

3 Likes

Zemekis did the same sort of thing for a Tales From The Crypt episode back in the mid 90’s

2 Likes

Whereas Steve Martin and Carl Reiner sort of did the same thing but the other way around - or sideways.

6 Likes

James Dean, an actor so incredibly talented, that even a digital representation of him, created by people who are just assuming what he would do in these new scenes, is more qualified than any living actor.

5 Likes

Why didn’t they just cast Tommy Wiseau? He’s alive, and people wouldn’t know the difference.

giphy

9 Likes

I’m cautiously ok with dead people being cgi’d for tributes or memorials and such, I don’t even mind cgi Carrie Fisher showing up in new Star Wars movies. But casting dead actors in new movies with zero historical reference is just straight stupid, it wreaks of marketing stunt and the whole casting lie is insulting.
I hope the people that green lit this garbage lose their jobs… Not out of spite but just because they are bad at their job.

6 Likes

How can you fire a holographic projection of Louis B. Mayer?

8 Likes

Come Back to the Five and Dime, CGI Jimmy Dean, CGI Jimmy Dean just doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

1 Like

I tried to stop myself. I really did. But I can’t.

UNDEAD UNDEAD UNDEAD

12 Likes

Take that back. My grandmother is a perfectly adequate casting director, despite the touch of dementia.

2 Likes

So is the bloke who was Chief in Get Smart.

3 Likes

You’re correct on both: he’s also in Rebel, playing one of the punks who messes with Dean at Griffith.

7 Likes

But Jim Backus was the father in Rebel.

3 Likes

The rest of the cast of more than 1,700

“This opens up a whole new opportunity for many of our clients who are no longer with us,” said Mark Roesler, CEO of CMG Worldwide, which represents Dean’s family alongside more than 1,700 entertainment, sports, music and historical personalities, including the likes of Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve, Ingrid Bergman, Neil Armstrong, Bette Davis and Jack Lemmon.

1 Like

seems zemekis does have a faible for “dead” actors, got somehow james dean for a minor role in 1992

5 Likes

I still expect a sequel to Casablanca with the original cast.

4 Likes

Funny you should mention… my first thought is that we must be living in The Last Action Hero, where Bogie makes a cameo:

4 Likes

Let’s not get a head of ourselves!

7 Likes