James Dean, dead for 65 years, will star in a new movie

When do we get to start calling these intrusions “cartoons”?

3 Likes

(Thanks for teaching me a new word!)

3 Likes

Yeah. I remember him more vividly in the hanging-live-chicken scene.

1 Like

I wonder if many viewers were fooled by those dead-actor scenes with Tony Soprano’s mother.

mum

3 Likes

I was. Once I knew it was fake, of course, the issues (and there are MANY) repeatedly punched me in the face; but the first time I watched it, before I had any reason to look for flaws, I didn’t notice any.

3 Likes

I wish I didn’t find this funny. I might not be a good person.

2 Likes

I didn’t ask you

Wait, did my Trailer Park Boys gif piss you off enough that you made an account at BB?

6 Likes

Someone mentioned “Come Back to tge Five and Dime, Jummy Dean”.

There’s also “September 30th, 1955” with Richard " John Boy" Thomas, about some guy’s reaction to James Dean’s death, though I’ve never seen it. It does immortalize his date of death, aking it easy to remember. I already kew by then that it was a car crash, but it probably reinforced the notion.

The Eagles 1974 album has a song about him, titled “James Dean”, which did get airplay at one point.

1 Like

At least the holographic projection of Laurence Olivier in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was meant to be a holographic projection of a dead guy

(I recommend the site I grabbed the pic from, The Agony Booth. Known for reviews of movies that never really deserve the attention the site gives it)

4 Likes

Why do we need an artificial James Dean when we already have one? He’s called Brad Pitt.

3 Likes

Now now, for all we know he’s been reading boingboing since it was a zine, but felt the need to tell all of us how disappointed he is in boingboing now that Trailer Park Boys gifs are considered a substitute for intelligent debate…

3 Likes

Rebel without a pusle.

Weekend at Dean’s.

2 Likes

And Sal Mineo started his career as the on-screen equivalent of Kenny McCormick.
(I am hard pressed to find a film after that where he survives at the final reel)

Unfortunately that career would be cut short by terminal cardiac stabbing.

1 Like

Sal was in an early seventies TV movie where Jeff Bridges wants to go in search of America, and somehow his parents and grandmother come along, in the bus they convert.

They don’t get very far before they land at a low budget rock festival, where the music is minor but they hang out with Sal, Tyne Daly and Glynn Therman.

But I can’t remember if Sal gets kikked. Certainly lots if drama from those then young people.

I can’t remember if they use Simon & Garfunkel’s song, though it was one of the first DVDs I bought, wanting to see it again twenty years later, and it was cheap…

Whatever happened to Sal before he really died? He seemed to have such promise, but never became the star he was anticipated to be?

You’re right, even in “Exodus” he dies at the end.

2 Likes

I would chalk that one up to “The Hollywood Closet”.

If I had to speculate, had he survived until present, he would have seen a career second wind in the late 90’s like Ian McKellan.

1 Like

Oh. And here I thought today’s ersatz James Dean was James Franco.

6 Likes

point-well-taken-but-i-just-came-here-to-get-drunk-new-yorker-cartoon_u-l-pgpuud0

7 Likes

8 Likes
5 Likes