Jan. 6 Hearings MegaThread

This is a place to post links to, and discussion of, the Jan 6 hearings.

Continuing the discussion from US House committee has postponed today's episode of The January 6 Hearings:

11 Likes

Here are the links to the PBS newshourā€™s streams:

Currently live stream:

Luttig sort of got smacked down over some of his analysis by the Jacob guyā€¦

12 Likes

Rudy: Eastmanā€¦ one of the most pre-eminent constitutional scholar in the USā€¦

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

15 Likes

CNNā€™s feed:

6 Likes

IMO, Pence didnā€™t get in that car because he suspected the Secret Service might actually aid in killing him.

Also, who gives a happy fuck about Jacobsā€™s alleged ā€œfaith???ā€

15 Likes

Right? I rolled my eyes at that. I guess itā€™s an attempt to show that most Christians are not Christian fascists, butā€¦ still.

Christina Aguilera Nobody Cares GIF

And I think youā€™re spot on about Pence, though I can also see him wanting to stick around for the count. He already knew that Trump was pissed at him, and that he was trying to overthrow the election, and wanted to stand against that.

14 Likes

I guess I just donā€™t see him as having that much spine. All this effort to paint Pence as ā€œbraveā€ and ā€œhonorableā€ for doing the bare minimum is really getting on my last nerve.

23 Likes

I meanā€¦ thatā€™s true. He was basically Trumpā€™s toady for 4 years because he thought it would get him into the white house as presidentā€¦ But I think he was probably genuinely pissed off at what was happening and he was determined to be carry out the count. I think both can be true.

15 Likes

They can.

Again, with the discussions of praying, to ā€œthe same God,ā€ even;

Hey fuckers, I donā€™t believe that you actually believe in ANY god except power itselfā€¦ so miss me with your pitiful posturing!

12 Likes

Agreed. I think that some feel the need to counter the idea that the Republicans and especially the Trump wing, have a lock on having the religious vote in the US. Hence the religious posturing.

9 Likes

Agreed. Heā€™s messed up in a lot of ways. Abhorrent in still others. Frightening in yet more others.

But itā€™s possible that he can also:

• See the right thing to do here and do it.
  • Hate Trump enough to be willing to screw him over.
  • Be afraid that the Secret Service couldnā€™t be trusted to keep him alive. (which should prompt its own investigation, tbh)

I know Iā€™m repeating what youā€™ve written, but itā€™s really to also add that one thing I take from what you write is that we have to be careful not to assume that just because someone is an awful, garbage-y human that they canā€™t find an acorn every once in a while.

7 Likes

Broken clock syndrome just doesnā€™t impress me, sorry.

As a POC in this country, ā€˜doing the bare minimumā€™ hasnt ever reflected well upon me and mineā€¦ so why should I act like such a low standard is some ā€˜act of courageā€™ when a person of immense unearned privilege like Mike Pence does the bare minimum, by doing his damn job?

13 Likes

winona-thats-good-point

But of course, this is America, where mediocre white men doing the bare minimum is considered a heroic effortā€¦

This timeline sucks.

16 Likes

ā€œMegaThreadā€ needs a good sound track"

Somewhere on Capital Hill there is a room full thread. And maybe a drummer.

5 Likes

I like reading Wonketteā€™s summary because of all the snark. Wonkette does have a good point with this

Man, it was bloody brilliant of the committee to make every character, particularly the heroes, in this drama, a Republican.

11 Likes

The snark is much appreciated:

12 Likes

I think theyā€™re right on that. I think it highlights that Trump does not have to dominate the party and that there are people willing to stand up to him.

Thatā€™s spot on @Melizmaticā€¦ can you imaging having to appear in his courtā€¦

Tired Monday GIF

9 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how I felt listening to his testimony.

He really didnā€™t want to have to say what he said; earlier, I said it looked like he was in pain, and to some extent he probably was.

11 Likes

I believe that the press is taking care of that just fine.

Every day trump this trump that. Itā€™s all trumpā€™s doing.

Bullshit.

4 Likes

He is certainly dominating the party and heā€™s certainly responsible for the attempted coup. Does he have ideas that are core to the modern GOP, absolutely, which made him perfect for their leadership. I hope that he does get real consequences for this, and that it causes a real shake up when the GOP can no longer win elections.

9 Likes