January 6 picketer gets teary eyed in court: "No one wants to hire me"

In this case we aren’t even a year out from the crime in question and the guy hasn’t even been sentenced yet.

If he spends the next several years of his life working to become a genuinely better person and still can’t manage to find a job then maybe we can revisit whether the consequences were disproportionate to his actions.

42 Likes

giphy-2 5

16 Likes

To be fair, church is supposed to be about forgiveness and inclusiveness. I can’t really fault them for not wanting the guy around at the moment, either, but it would be downright anti-New Testamental to not offer the possibility of reconciliation.

But you’re right that this is probably not quite the spirit in which he’s being shunned, and I can certainly imagine that perhaps his church may also find itself not particularly in line with what their Holy Book actually says on a bunch of other fronts already.

15 Likes

Another f’ng cry baby…

To hell with these people.

33 Likes

He was clearly wearing mixed fabrics, so… /s

Eh, I wouldn’t waste too much empathy on this guy. I’ve also been incarcerated, unjustly (and briefly, thank luck) but one thing I did NOT do was cry at any of the court appearances or whine about how other people were treating me after being part of a riot that tried to violently overthrow our democracy. In fact, I didn’t cry or whine at all. And this guy assaulted a cop. That’s some high-grade privilege on display, right there.
TBC, I agree that our punitive system of “justice” isn’t working for the betterment of society in general. But these folks need to pay a price. That was scary as hell, and I don’t want to see it again.

39 Likes

Man, what a cruel punishment that definitely doesn’t apply to countless people who haven’t broken the law. Maybe there could be a government program to make sure people can find work, but you know, only violent right-wingers so that it wouldn’t be communism.

29 Likes

So I want the head fascists punished too…but even if they were, would that let the rest off the hook?

lauras

The truth is the little fish still wanted to topple democracy. They still wanted to hurt people. Without them Trump’s coup attempt would have been nothing but angry ranting, and yet they are still dangerous even without him. Just following orders is not a legitimate defense and they weren’t even doing that, they were eagerly anticipating them. That they face consequences is important.

45 Likes

From what I recall, the “church” requires sincere repentance before “forgiveness” can take place. If you are proud of your crimes, and plan to continue perpetuating your crimes, I don’t think forgiveness is on the table.

18 Likes

In all his whining, I don’t see any remorse or acknowledgement of wrongdoing. It’s all, “Nobody likes me, everybody hates me”. Have fun eating worms, Robbie.

31 Likes

Attonement is required. Stunning lack of it with these fella’s…

15 Likes

peaky-blinders-tommy-trying-to-find

30 Likes

“Oh, it’s all just part of the conspiracy. Actually everyone wants to hire you. But the damned Martians are microwaving the chips that Bill Gates put into their heads when they ate pizzas made by pedophiles… bla-bla-blah … Trump … bla-bla-blah …”

9 Likes

Color me completely unsympathetic.

9 Likes

Yep, there you go. Instead of showing remorse for the things you have done or towards the victims of your actions, cry about how “badly” the consequences of those actions affect YOU. If that won’t win the judge over, what will?

26 Likes

Is that what the BSA is about?

When I was in, it seemed pretty clear that the purpose was to indoctrinate kids with christian nationalism and toxic masculinity. Oh also homophobia.

That’s why I resigned my eagle rank.

17 Likes

“Disagreed with”

That’s really what they hate. They fucking invented cancel culture themselves back in the 1980s with the Satanic Panic.

14 Likes

YMMV and all that.

Pretty sure “attempting to overthrow the Federal government” isn’t condoned by any of the national or regional councils.

21 Likes

On that I can certainly agree. When I was in, we were more concerned with overthrowing the Scoutmaster

18 Likes

“It’s become evident to me in the riot cases, many of the defendants who are pleading guilty are not truly accepting responsibility,”

Yeah, “Oh no, consequences!” isn’t the same as accepting responsibility.

He seems right up their alley, ideology-wise, but maybe they also want the person they’re looking for to be a pedophile as well?

6 Likes

Frankly, If I were tasked with hiring and a google search found a prospect to be a “stop the steal” or anti-vax proponent, that’d be enough to disqualify, because how do you trust a person in any capacity, when they’ve shown they lack some very major logic and reasoning skills. “I’m an easily manipulated moron and I’m loud and proud about it. I’m no sheep, so you’ll never know what ill informed, smooth brained thoughts are running through my ‘mind’. I’ll use my unique reasoning skills to come up with conspiracies related to decisions at your company. Hire me!!!”

20 Likes