Japan has over 400 Kit Kat flavors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/21/japan-has-over-400-kit-kat-flavors.html

3 Likes

“400 Kit Kat flavors”?. . . . they’re years ahead of us!

5 Likes

For a while, Paula Poundstone was testing 10 flavors a week on her podcast. Her publicist just asked for them, and boom - publicity!
However, they spent most of the testing segments spitting out bizarre flavors. So, while some combinations may sound appealing, most of the extra exotic ones are not something you’d even wanna unwrap.

6 Likes

Ain’t capitalism grand?

2 Likes

The best flavor is Ichimi Togarashi (seven-taste chilli pepper): https://candyfromjapan.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/kitkat-hot-japanese-chili/

4 Likes

I agree. Chocolate and chili are an amazing combination.

But, is Kit-Kat (Japan) using milk chocolate for all these 400 creations? All that effort is lipstick on a pig.

2 Likes

Anywhere the list of all 400 exists?

I’d love to try every one…

3 Likes

you do know they make Durian KitKats, right?
Imma go out on this limb here and suggest, politely, no sir, you do not want to try them all!
ETA: pic

3 Likes

Youngest son and I bought some Creme Brulee Kit Kats last time we were in Japan. White chocolate but you toasted the top for a brulee finish.

I’m very sad to report they weren’t worth the effort.

(ETA photo)

5 Likes

Well, you’d need to find a way to import them from Japan.
It pisses me off that here in UK we get almost no variation in Kit-Kats, at all, other than occasional promotions of such exotica as, oooh, orange flavour.

2 Likes

possibly as a sign of the asian cultural influences on the country, the little convenience store at the hotel mrs. navarro and i stayed at in sydney had 18 flavors. there were a couple of savory? flavors which i didn’t particularly for but the green tea one was pretty nice.

5 Likes

This video was surprisingly shallow for being a “Great Big Story.”

It promised to show us “how (Takagi) creates yummy new flavor profiles” but I didn’t learn anything of the sort. Just “I want to surprise people” or “I want to make people happy.” We are even teased with the notion of prototypes that didn’t go into production… [I wait patiently for nothing to be revealed]…
SUCH AS?!?!

(living here in Tokyo, I’ve tried a large number of flavors; haven’t found one yet that I really dig)

3 Likes

Finding them all is the trick, it’s like playing Pokemon Go. When I was last in Tokyo, we went on a hunt for as many as we could find. About 10 flavors were available in Don Quijotes, a few in 7-11s, and 30 or so in a wealthy Kit Kat mall boutique stand by Shinjuku Station where gift boxes were going for $20 and up among other chocolatiers for the wealthy and rich tourists.

But 400? No idea where to find the rest. I hear many are regional. We’re still trying to finish the backpack-full we exported two years ago.

4 Likes

Yes, the green tea one is delicious. A friend brought some back for us after she visited Japan.

3 Likes

I traveled to Japan about 5 years ago and was constantly ducking into convenience stores etc to see if they had an as-yet unsampled Kit Kat flavor. I brought back quite an eclectic stash, to the fascination and delight of my younger niblings (and no doubt my dentist). Strawberry Cheese Cake, Saké and Shinshu Apple were memorable highlights.

If Nestlé (or some enterprising person in Japan) were to offer some kind of Kit Kat Of The Month mail-order service which contained all the most recent releases, I would definitely sign up for it.

2 Likes

To (almost certainly mis-) quote Good Omens:

There aren’t 400 flavours in the whole world!

There could be. You could have strawberry and vanilla and chocolate and strawberry and vanilla or vanilla and chocolate…

I’m not sure whether that exchange makes sense to anyone under say 40 these days given the range of ice cream flavours available nowadays- but as far as Kitkats go, we still live in that benighted age.

Strawberry Kit-Kat?!?!

The chaps at Nestlé UK will be having conniptions!

1 Like

I really don’t like chocolate. It puts me in the ‘wtf are you, a mutant?’ percentile of the population. I am physically repulsed by the taste, makes me nauseous.

White chocolate, though, not a problem, delicious, and I am always looking for cool stuff in white chocolate. Thanks!

Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans! I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit-flavoured one. And since then, I’m afraid I’ve lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee. Alas. Earwax.

Albus Dumbledore

1 Like

I assume that emulates the taste of durian and not the scent…

I’m pretty sure that says “Sweet Potato flavour” which might explain your disappointment.

3 Likes