Japanese World Cup fans cleaned up the stadium after their team defeated Germany

Originally published at: Japanese World Cup fans cleaned up the stadium after their team defeated Germany | Boing Boing

6 Likes

It’s not just the fans.

21 Likes

This habit is inculcated early, from what I’ve read.

It’s a nice thing, a thoughtful and respectful custom that no-one could twist into something nasty. Oh, wait…

18 Likes

Awww, they say newt can think! How sweet.

10 Likes

Seeing people clean up after themselves makes me happy.

And at the same time, I had the thought of: I hope the regular cleaning crew (assuming that they’re paid employees in need of income) didn’t get sent home early without pay! (I’ve no idea how that works there.)

11 Likes

I’m glad I took the time to read that. In my earliest school years, in the U.S., I was taught that the janitors worked hard and did an important job. They deserved respect–we even had a special assembly for one who retired when I was in second grade. At the same time we were taught that, just because one of the jobs of the janitors was cleaning, we should still clean up after ourselves when we could. Part of showing them respect was not making their jobs harder. There was a lot more to maintenance work than just sweeping floors. I don’t know what schools Newt Gingrich went to but he obviously didn’t learn anything.

Sorry for the off-topic overreaction. I think it’s wonderful that Japanese fans do this. More fans should too.

25 Likes

It’s Qatar. I feel safe in the assumption that the normal cleaning crew somehow gets shafted.

14 Likes

I, too, was thinking that.

8 Likes

Care of one’s environment is a key part of Montessori method, too. The kids are expected to care for their classroom, keep it tidy, and they are given size appropriate tools to help them do so. Which of course is WAAAAAYYY different than the child labor BS that Newt proposed there…

15 Likes

Twitter says “This video is not available in your location.” What fresh form of hell is that?

2 Likes

Nothing says “World” Wide Web more than “this content is not available in your region”.

6 Likes

I live in China. Welcome to my world.

Speaking of China, people litter all the time. I have asked my students why they are so messy, and they say that if they picked up garbage, what would the cleaning ladies do? They would be out of a job.

6 Likes

https://wiki.lspace.org/Anticrime

2 Likes

By contrast, schools in Japan don’t even have cleaning ladies. The teachers and students clean everything every day.

4 Likes

I’ve been to a couple places that are ruined by the astonishing amount of simple trash the residents generate and tolerate. Such as Buenos Aries and West Bengal, India.

Dropping a smoke pack wrapper is simply not done, to my central-Ontario white-bread ass. In the nearest trash (now recycling, for all that’s worth) or in my pocket for later disposal.

Simple causal litter just seems so easy to solve: put your waste away! Yet smart people there always say “It just how it is. Nothing can be done.”

5 Likes

check if he can breathe underwater

3 Likes

The Chicago parks district tried pulling the trash cans from some parks, figuring people would take their trash elsewhere. Instead, they just piled it up where that cans used to be. So the cans went back, but they fill so quickly that there ends up being a trash pile next to the can anyway. I’m sure some of the problem is the folks living in the park don’t have an elsewhere to put their trash. Keeping public spaces clean requires a fair amount of money and personnel, even if the public has been socialized to pick up after themselves.

1 Like

Regularly emptied trash cans could easily accommodate the few people living in the Chicago parks.

Families hosting picnics and cookouts for a dozen or more people, generating multiple garbage cans worth of trash, and not trucking it out with them is unsustainable.

3 Likes
7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.