Japan's first lady pretended not to speak English when she sat next to Trump at G20 dinner

From one of my all-time favorite movies:

Monique Junot: I figured if we had nothing to say to each other he would get bored; go away. But instead he uses it as an excuse to put his testicles all over me.
Lane Myer: Excuse me?
Monique Junot: You know, like octopus? Testicles?
Lane Myer: Ohhhh. Tentacles. N-T. Tentacles; big Difference.

edit: movie is Better Off Dead (1985) starring John Cusack

6 Likes

Oh sweet baby Cthulhu, I hadn’t even thought about the Trump presidential library. I recollect the jokes about how Bush’s library was going to be a video collection, but it would actually be appropriate here - it’s clear from this interview that he gets his entire worldview from cable programs - and commercials.

4 Likes

Excellent idea. Let’s all try it!

In one of the Discworld books - Pyramids, I think - there’s a tradition that anything the king says is not actually in the language everyone else speaks, but has to be “interpreted” by the high priest.

Can we institute something like that?

5 Likes

From one of my all-time favorite movies

Which movie?

Who’d get to be the Trumpian high priest in charge of translating Trump?

Spicer maybe? Isn’t this pretty much exactly what we already have?

“The president didn’t mean to say those things he just said”

4 Likes

13 Likes

That is the problem, isn’t it?

I nominate my niece. She just turned 1. I’m pretty sure she can say “MAGA.”

4 Likes

And I bet she’s just the cutest, too!

3 Likes

I don’t see that in the linked article?

It was the last paragraph when I posted the comment. I definitely copy and pasted from that link. But it looks gone now. :-/

EDIT: Updated my original comment.

2 Likes

When he dies I bet he put’s himself on display in a glass coffin for a price.

1 Like

Better Off Dead

2 Likes

It’s global news, yet no one can or will stop his fibs.

3 Likes

I ain’t proud. I simply stated what everyone else was thinking.

:slight_smile:

Like the Kim family? Or Lenin (though I think the government did that to Lenin, not because he wanted it).

2 Likes

Yeah or Marcos who I saw on display last time I was in the Philippines. The display for Marcos was actually pretty tasteful for a dead person on display under glass. I’d imagine Trump to be as gilded and gaudy as possible. It ties into the whole dictator becomes deity fantasy he seems to have.

3 Likes

Looks like I got lost in the Bushes again…

6 Likes

Hugo Chavez got the embalming treatment… and Mao. Ho Chi Minh… Is Stalin on display?

2 Likes

The terrifying thing is that he used to have an ivy league worthy grasp of English. Go find video of interviews he gave in the 80s, he’s coherent and has an excellent grasp of English. I mean, he uses that eloquence to be a blowhard and an asshole, but he’s a well-spoken asshole. He is not the man he used to be.

1 Like