Watch Japanese translators attempt to translate last night's debate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/30/watch-japanese-translators-attempt-to-translate-last-nights-debate.html

4 Likes

My husband wanted me to turn it off after a couple of minutes, but I had the clicker, so we toughed it out for a full 10 minutes… You and Carla are braver than I!

19 Likes

my wife stuck it out for the whole thing. her persistence is admirable. of course this is the same woman who stuck it out for 11 hours of labor before finally agreeing to a c-section. she’s hard pressed to say which experience was worse.

19 Likes

We lasted 30 minutes. My ears were bleeding.

5 Likes

I feel like these two should be in self isolation over a video call, where the mute button is forced on, just so the other is given time to speak like an adult.
This isn’t a wrestling match.

4 Likes

My wife and I made it through the whole thing. My religious, relatively conservative wife dropped more f-bombs in that 90 min than in the couple decades we have been married.

23 Likes

32 Likes

Not “these two”. This is entirely Trump’s fault and would have been the same no matter his opponent.

18 Likes

This describes Trump’s whole debate strategy

1 Like

Yeah, a co-worker said something similar, “if I were the moderator I’d leave and say ‘you two work things out’” as if Biden was somehow to blame for being bullied. That mind-set of blaming the bullied for being bullied is sadly engrained in a lot of people just by growing up in a bully-loving society.

26 Likes

“More sake, must get the voices out of my head…”
-Japanese translators

6 Likes

As someone who was bullied, and bulldozed in conversation regularly, I have to clarify, bullying is not something I condone and I stand with the bullied. Isolating these figureheads, so that each get to a chance to speak, because of the moderator not enforcing common decency, seemed to me the only way to get some coherent direction to this debate.

10 Likes

Time would not help Master Trump.

“Master” being the title for juvenile males, in case anyone is confused.

5 Likes

The moderator should have either cut off Trump’s mic at times or just tasered his unruly ass.

4 Likes

For sure. I wasn’t trying to imply that mentality was encapsulated in your comment. I was really just itching to say something about that mentality as I wasn’t comfortable calling out my co-worker (who is in fact my boss and is generally a good person…).

2 Likes

I honestly can’t believe I watched any of it, but I came home and my housemate was watching so I had to hear it while I was cooking.

Much has been written about Trump’s weird stream-of-unconsciousness soundbite sentences, ideas that trail off into tangents and congratulating himself, shorthand allusions to something he saw on Fox or Twitter that he assumes everyone knows all about. . . .it’s hard enough to understand him in English let alone translate into any other tongue.

4 Likes

I was really worried Biden would succumb to Trumps button pushing, but he actually didn’t do too bad. When I had to work side-by-side with someone who had NPD, I learned and used the “gray rock” method to deal with any confrontational conversations. It basically consisted of just totally ignoring the blasts of narcissistic rage being directed at you, and staying firmly focused on topic. It was a lot of mental work to do that and keep yourself centered, but it was as effective as anything could be.

10 Likes

I didn’t know that Biden has a speech impediment.

Now I see why Trump talked over Biden. Trump wanted to provoke Biden’s speech impediment.

10 Likes

To be fair, anyone who cares about Biden having a stutter (to the point of it impacting their vote or their view of his intelligence) is an asshole. I don’t care that he has a stutter. I do think he’s brave taking on a career that involves public speaking despite the stutter.

I don’t think it’s that deep. I think he would talk over anyone because he hates to listen to anyone who isn’t him.

10 Likes

All the times the candidates interrupted each other.

Not my work, but the original post was deleted from Reddit. https://preview.redd.it/sxb9zzhxy8q51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3fa78ffd22b26b1edf004890822db91c89374c8f

7 Likes