Japhroaig's ROAD TRIP thread!

Welcome to California, buddy.

10 Likes

Did you forget to pack scouring pads?

6 Likes

who would even want scotch that doesn’t scratch at least a bit?

6 Likes

Ffs, at least I found a dish towel that wasnt a billion dollars. Then I look at the liquor section at target and vodka is like a nickel.

2 Likes

The couple I am staying with are awesome. They are retired, the guy is building a cabin in Nevada, and the matriarch is English but grew up in south Africa. They are both properly odd characters. I am now sitting outside in the sun, with blooming roses, succulents, an orange tree I’m gonna rob, and a kitty. Her name is Bear.

Yeah, I didn’t even ask permission. This orange is mine. And I just got buzzed by a humming bird.

17 Likes

Congratulations on your surprise hummer.

10 Likes

Hey, the best kind. Now I need to figure out what to do with 100lbs of persimmons, and 50lbs of kumquats. There is a non functioning pond in the garden I’m gonna fix without permission, and there are at least a hundred clay pots that I will fill. I’m on a rampage.

These peeps won’t know what hit them.

10 Likes

Those are nice healthy aloes. A smaller cousin of theirs named Fred says hi.

6 Likes

Welcome!

4 Likes

Small-batch artisinal citrus-jerky?

5 Likes

I was thinking maybe ten gallons of marmalade? If this job thing doesn’t work out, I could sell it at a farmers market.

Oh, and I just fixed their toilet. Cause that’s how I roll.

10 Likes

I was gonna say, wasn’t that in MN?!?

2 Likes

It’s been a few days, so how you doin’, Japh?

Got any cool pics to show us?

Not a single one. :D. I am surrounded by corporate buildings atm. Oracle, msft, arista, Palo alto, and so on. This weekend I may make it to Monterey and see some fish.

But jebus the food is good here.

5 Likes

Oh man all the guys and gals I know that worked at PARC have moved on from there now.

1 Like

The MBA is a nice aquarium. I spent the first day of my honeymoon there! (Yes, my spouse was there with me.)

4 Likes

I wanna go back. The one day we had there on a road trip to LA and back was the day some dork emptied a pepper spray can into the ventilation system. That sadly made the visit to the aquarium way too short.

2 Likes

Looks like you stopped at Hearst Castle, too… And all kinds of other fun places! Too bad about the aquarium. What kind of jerk does something like that?

2 Likes

That’s kinda funny, I spent the second day of my honeymoon almost there. Instead… We ended up at Hearst castle!! It was a looong drive.

When I drove down here on Saturday I basically did the exact same route as the first day I was married. The weather was better then :smiley:

4 Likes