JD Vance: Forget lowering daycare costs — "Grandpa and Grandma" can pitch in (video)

Which, between the lines, actually says: Society? Fuck Society!

(I blame Thatcher for a lot of this (along with Raygun):

“They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there’s no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours.”)

8 Likes

And not if they’re the type of people he exploitatively portrayed his own mother and grandmother as. You first, JD. Let’s give those pillbillies a second chance!

7 Likes

Maybe they are inappropriate as caregivers

14 Likes

15 Likes

The more he talks, the less he says.

7 Likes

Republicans are big fans of this one. Remember Mitt Romney’s solution to unemployment that was basically “just borrow a bunch of money from your parents and start a business”. They seem unable to understand that these solutions are simply not an option for most people.

17 Likes

If that was a possibility, my Grandma Springer would have done that ages ago. :beers:

6 Likes

6 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

Are you suggesting that we figure out policies that address how people actually exist in the world, rather than some backward bigoted ideology of how families “should” be according to a small percentage of the American population? You commie!!! /s

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

8 Likes
8 Likes

They seem unable to understand that these solutions are simply not an option for most people.

Or, even more likely, they don’t care.

8 Likes

I thougt they didn’t like chain migration?

6 Likes

Knowing what JD Vance has admitted in his own writing about his grandfather this idea takes on a very sinister tone.

Also: Aunts and uncles who don’t have kids? Sowwy we 2 useless 4 u!!! Busy trying to get some VALUE!!!

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m at the age where statistically I would be hitting peak grandparent age (54), although since I work, I’m not sure when my fictional offspring would talk me into looking after my grandkids so they can also work. Seems like there’s some sort of vicious circle in that, doesn’t there?

Anyway, looking back at the age range where on average I would have had children, there’s never a point where I would have left either of my parents alone with those hypothetical children for 8 minutes, let alone 8 hours while I was at work! I already knew them to be abusive and overall terrible people that I moved across half the USA to get away from; why on Earth would I leave my children with them?

13 Likes

So are these helpful uncles and aunts somehow finding time in their parenting schedules that mom and dad cannot; or are we trusting the barren nihilists with our precious commitment to the future here?

There’s something almost perversely admirable about Vance’s commitment to deriving public policy from misunderstandings of his own biography; but it does not seem to lead to consistent outcomes.

6 Likes

He should be asked if his father in law was someone like your running mate, would you want him watching your daughter?

3 Likes

J. D. VANCE: THANK YOU for a reason to move back to the boondocks!

X Factor Omg GIF by X Factor Global

1 Like

Under Vance’s worldview, all of them. They are taking jobs away from white men if they aren’t at home.

There is probably a Vance quote saying exactly that, but I’m not looking for it.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.