JD Vance less popular than Sarah Palin was in 2008

Originally published at: JD Vance less popular than Sarah Palin was in 2008 - Boing Boing

16 Likes

JD Vance, Winner of the VP Limbo Dance Competition.

17 Likes

Reminder:

31 Likes

I had to look that up on the wikis and it seems his mother was responsible for at least two sets (to disassociate from his birth father). But I came across this peach on his being a PR person in the military “ and said that his service “taught me how to live like an adult” and that he was “lucky to escape any real fighting”

What fighting did he have? With the other PR bods to get to the canteen first so they have the primo chow? First dibs on billets?

What a wanker!

23 Likes

Someone has to do the support roles in the tail, and I won’t criticize that, unless: he used pull to get the assignment, brags about his service, or drags someone else’s service record, then no problem.

I’m looking forward to the debate, because I think a former top Sargent-major of an artillery unit knows how to land stuff on the target. :smiley:

26 Likes

I doubt Vance will be given the opportunity to boost his popularity (and/or embarrass himself) by going on SNL and doing a skit with Zach Galifianakis or whoever they get to imitate him like Palin did with Tina Fey.
Sarah Palin Bear GIF by GIPHY News

15 Likes

To paraphrase Hermes Conrad:
Lower than a limbo stick … at carnival time. And that’s as low as limbo sticks get.

17 Likes

I served in a support role – really a huge portion of the armed forces do! Serving during the first Gulf War certainly affected my duties, but I was also in the UK, several thousand kilometers from any fighting. I would never say I “escaped[d] any real fighting” because I didn’t fight at all! (Hell, I was enlisted in the USAF. For the most part, we sent the officers into battle!)

I had friends in the reconnaissance unit (AWACS) on my base and they did deploy to the gulf. Some of them did not come back and to hear JDV and others like him try to ride on their service is an insult to their memories.

31 Likes

Sarah Palin was said lots of dumb things, but you could at least see how she could be folksy and charming to people who ignored when she made no sense. JD on the other hand, lacks even that. He chose the path of trying to sound like a conservative wonk in the past and now is running on the ticket that opposes people who use fancy words and talk about the professors and lawyers in their family.

9 Likes

As poorly as Palin often presented herself, she had a certain superficial draw with the conservative base that Vance lacks. And I remember that being a thing that was talked about at the time.

Lorne Michaels has repeatedly disappointed people like me by letting folks like her on the show in an attempt to draw in viewers who stand firmly across the aisle from many (most?) of the performers on the show and much of the audience who tune in to see them. I wouldn’t put it past him to do it again.

12 Likes

By my sophisticated statistical calculations that gives him a net favourability somewhere between leprosy and Spirit Airlines.

18 Likes

Makes sense. The shillbilly hts alienated some Republican women voters who were fine with a clown like Palin but who are turned off by his Gilead-style misogyny.

12 Likes

That’s amazing - though I was amazed that Palin had any support at all, given how obviously stupid/ignorant she was. The same family members who liked her predictably liked Trump too, though.

I wonder why he is unpopular, though. It’s often not what I would have thought, i.e. the obvious, his support of project 2025 positions. The fact that he’s not a folksy moron is probably hurting him with Republicans.

Yeah, I know my Trump-supporting aunt was really stung specifically by his “cat lady” comments…

16 Likes

Probably because the GOP base thinks his family is poisoning the blood of the country.

12 Likes

Yeah, that would be one of the not-obvious-to-me reasons. I wonder how much that is impacting his support among MAGAts… I’ve seen some white supremacists tying themselves in knots trying to explain how she’s actually white (“if you look at her facial features…”).

13 Likes

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

16 Likes

19 Likes

jenna marbles desperation GIF

16 Likes

Geez…I totally read and reacted to that post a month ago. And purged it from my memory because it’s so f*ing dumb, I guess. Thanks for the reminder! :sob:

12 Likes

Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

14 Likes