Audio of JD Vance being racist and attacking women's rights

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/26/audio-of-jd-vance-being-racist-and-attacking-womens-rights.html

9 Likes

I’m not sure that statement makes much sense. The guy wrote a bestselling book, gave a TED Talk, became a media darling and had a Ron-Howard-Directed-biopic made about his life. He got elected to the Senate largely based on his fame that came from those things.

So he may not have been universally known (few people are, I guess) but he wasn’t exactly an obscure figure.

And yeah, it should come as no surprise to anyone that he’s a monster.

32 Likes

41 Likes

Good comparison, though of course, Palin was a genuine (Alaskan) version of the hillbilly that Vance can only pretend to be.

Edit: Seems I should revise that:

Palin was closer to a genuine (Alaskan) version of the hillbilly that Vance can only pretend to be.

35 Likes

I mean he’s implying liberals are the “real racists” a favorite game of conservatives, but of course his assumptions about how things will shake out are giving away himself as the actual racist. JD Vance is styling himself as the white savior for minorities here. heh.

21 Likes

Just in case someone doesn’t want to listen to the clip, he actually suggests that if Roe were overturned and Ohio banned abortion, George Soros would send a 747 to Columbus every day to shuttle (mostly Black) women to CA to get abortions. And we’d need some sort of federal protections to prevent this from happening.
And he doesn’t get laughed out of the interview.
Smdh.

41 Likes

being racist and attacking women’s rights

Also known as “establishing your conservative credentials.”

21 Likes

Vance’s racism is on prominent display every time he blames “illegal immigrants” for his mother’s addiction problem because it creates a convenient and simple narrative that sounds so much better than the facts.

22 Likes

Breaking news, or a random sample of him opening his mouth anytime in the past several years?

16 Likes

Kamala Harris Politics GIF by The Democrats

14 Likes

Yeah… I’ve been looking for some one who can summarize this like that! It really feels like he can’t process his trauma from his addict mother and so seeks to manifest that trauma in the lives of countless women across the country.

18 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

11 Likes

I believe she was in terrible pain–addiction is an awful thing–and I believe it was terrible for him. But I can’t have much sympathy for him when he exploits her pain to help his career.

24 Likes

I’ve been letting everyone I know about his toxic views and opportunism. They’re so horrified that they’ve all said they’re going to spread the word as well. This dangerous creep should be nowhere near the executive branch.

15 Likes

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

She was a journalist originally from Idaho, I believe. She was just as much a construct as Vance, me thinks.

19 Likes

A construct, yeah, as any politician is. But then, as your source says,

When Palin was a few months old, the family moved to Skagway, Alaska,[16] where her father had been hired to teach.[17] They relocated to Eagle River, Anchorage in 1969, and settled in Wasilla, Alaska, in 1972.

I mean, if you move to a place when you’re 3 months old and grow up there, I think it’s fair to say you’re “from that place.”

19 Likes

Fair enough, I just think the Hillbilly part is a construct, where ever she grew up.

10 Likes

Let’s :sparkles:look at the data :sparkles:in Google Trends:

Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time. A value of 100 is the peak popularity for the term. A value of 50 means that the term is half as popular. A score of 0 means there was not enough data for this term.

Now let’s compare with a neighboring junior Senator:

Looks to me like there’s one big spike for Vance after he was nominated versus repeated spikes on Fetterman when he’d stroke out or rear end or belittle his constituents :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unless you’re a Republican, of course.

:face_vomiting:

24 Likes

And I think that while she probably did play up an “Aw shucks” persona to some degree, like GWB did, she also grew up with and lived in ways that make her much closer to whatever a “backwoods hillbilly” actually is than Vance claims he is.

But overall, yes, I do agree there was some “constructing” going on with her too.

15 Likes