JD Vance mocked for cringeworthy "Big Buck World" publicity stunt

Originally published at: JD Vance mocked for cringeworthy "Big Buck World" publicity stunt - Boing Boing

11 Likes

Sofa King Awful!

19 Likes

Let’s not phrase it like that. No sympathy for the awful, even in jest.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

22 Likes

It’s not like I expect Vance to do ‘relatable’ well; but this many noob mistakes at once looks like a cynical attempt to pretend at something he’s totally disinterested in.

He’s smart enough that you probably wouldn’t catch him holding a random leatherbound book upside down in what’s supposed to be a display of commitment to biblical values; but that’s more or less what he has done here; and all on details that some junior campaign minion could have scraped together in short order.

Sure is good that people who do like video games are never touchy about authenticity; and that people who don’t like them definitely don’t often consider gaming to be a lightweight but pathetic flavor of degeneracy. Really a win all around.

14 Likes

Wait, wait , wait. Is he the other kid in the café from Back to the Future 3?

(Not the one who grew up to be a fully rounded, lovable human being. Obviously.)

6 Likes

I think Vance needs a new nickname. How about “Pinocchio” Vance?

8 Likes

Agreed.

How about…

“JD Vance Shoots Himself in Foot AGAIN, Ths Time with Video Game Firearm.”

…?

19 Likes

“When you’re in an unlikability contest, and your opponent is JD Vance.”

7 Likes

I’m liberal. I don’t like guns. I respect people who can handle them responsibly because that’s the price of living in a country that’s “free.” I think there’s still a lot of work to do because that number of “responsible” people is WAY smaller than the GOP would have us believe. And regulation is the best way we have.

All that said, I will admit I’ve had a lot of good times playing Big Buck Hunter/World over drinks with friends on a night out. The game is stupid, it’s ridiculous, it’s crass, it KNOWS it… And it’s a whole lotta fun if you’re into that sort of thing.

Vance and his team totally miss the “It KNOWS it” part. And… Well… I don’t even know what the fuck they’re trying to do here. Neither do they. Their messaging is so confused. I hope they keep it up. Whatever makes sense.

3 Likes

As always, @frauenfelder, appropriate use of the first word in the above quote is greatly appreciated.

13 Likes

The best part is that I’m sure his handlers were all “Good job Mr. Vance, that was great!” Furthermore, the man didn’t have 10 minutes to review/practice the game so he ain’t gonna spend any time looking back at any mockery (if he’s not even shielded from it in the first place). His unawareness is a cringe-multiplier.

Like, what exactly is he contributing to this campaign anyway? Did Pence do any of this eight years ago or did he just smile and wave? People voting for Trump are voting for Trump and no one else.

5 Likes

I can’t imagine someone being this obviously hated by his own barber.

7 Likes

It still shows cracks. When there’s this much on the line and things are so close, I’m happy to see failures like this. Trump seems to be smartly distancing himself from all the Vance nonsense (pet eating notwithstanding), but that doesn’t change the fact that Vance was his choice in the first place.

It matters. Even if just a little. John McCain could very well have won if Palin wasn’t such a disaster.

4 Likes

No, guns are not the foundation of democracy. Civil rights do not depend on the right to bear arms. Gun ownership is not the price that American society pays for political freedom; gun violence is the price that American society pays for fetishising gun ownership and pretending that it is an inalienable right.

19 Likes

I bet the Tim Walz Crazy Taxi Modder is hard at work right now.

3 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with anything you’ve posted. I could have phrased the first part of my post better. Mostly I wanted to to talk about games being fun and Vance being an idiot.

I’m personally OK with friends of mine going out for target practice or something. I would judge them harshly if they seemed caviler about owning or taking care of their weapons. But also, I wouldn’t cry if they couldn’t play with those particular toys anymore. I don’t know how this gets fixed.

Edit to add: I also never said “guns are the foundation of our Democracy.” I think that kind of rhetoric is misleading , dangerous and false. I only meant to say, these are the current rules we’re living under. I think it’s broken and needs to get better, but I can also understand (some) other people’s points of view.

4 Likes

I don’t think Mr. Vance wants to be a real boy.

5 Likes

No, he does not. He abandoned Jiminy Cricket and decided to stay with the asses and donkeys on Pleasure Island, enjoying, copying and indulging all their bad behaviour. His story - and his character development - stopped dead right there.

7 Likes

Although I agree that JD is terrible, I disagree that people do not call this game Buck Hunter.
I work tech in an arcade with one of these games and most people refer to it as Buck Hunter. There is definitely a group of people that do NOT call it that, but those SERIOUS players are not the majority.
The other points are valid.

2 Likes

One point his opponents are neglecting to make full use of: Vance would be POTUS if Trump’s health failed during his term, not an unlikely event given his advanced age. Next week’s VP debate should be interesting.

3 Likes