Jeb Bush quits 2016 presidential race

Jack Bauer is almost there, only the reality part is missing yet. The audience is tested already.

3 Likes

But we canā€™t, Jeb quit - didnā€™t you hear?

1 Like

Samantha Bee, Larry Wilmore, John Oliver and Stephen need to Avengers Assemble Jon Stewart out of premature retirement and turn the satire way up on Mr. Trump.

3 Likes

Aye. Itā€™s precisely because of those 20% that Iā€™m counting on 64% of the other 80% to have some sanity. If not, weā€™re all fucked anyway. You know what actual conservative Edmund Burke said about the only requirement for evil to triumphā€¦

Youā€™d think the media could find less depressing circuses over which to each our bread.

1 Like

NO, NO, NO NO!!! If we all clap, it might come back to life!

2 Likes

Reality shows already ARE torture, but thatā€™s not what I was getting at.

1 Like

He will hire Sarah Palin for the VP job.

Trump is a billionaire. The only one who is going to take him down are other billionaires but they have opted not to because of, no doubt, private conversations. Notice how silent most of them have been?

1 Like

I would not count on that.

and a strong understanding of what brings them to their knees and reaching for their checkbooks

1 Like

True enough. 20% lining up for Brownshirts and ready to embody the worst aspects of our culture. Itā€™s terrifying and not going anywhere soon.

People will hit the streets and rise up when they lose more than they are winning. Most of us are still managing, getting along. I think the tea party/ Trump types are not in that group - they are either already marginalized and pissed off about it, or they are falling behind quickly and donā€™t understand why.

The rest of us run the risk of being too comfortable, and letting the pissed off take over while we arenā€™t paying attention. Itā€™s damn terrifying because I am definitely in the ā€˜still have a lot to loseā€™ camp - Iā€™m not likely to risk arrest or worse at this point just to defend something nebulous. And by the time it directly affects me in any way itā€™ll probably be too late to stop it affecting everyone else because weā€™ll already be too far down the holeā€¦

2 Likes

1 Like

I dunno, at least some of them think they are being marginalized, and they really arenā€™t. But some probably are indeed falling behind or have already fell behind. But I suspect that Trumps biggest base is from people who just think they are marginalized, but actually arenā€™t.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s a bunch of people who missed the point of Fight Club.

ā€œI am Jackā€™s Smirking Revengeā€ sounded good to them.

1 Like

Oh sure, many of us will speak up. But not as many as you like to think. There were partisans/resistance in Germany and Italy all the way along. But most people kept their heads down out of fear (or the need to keep a roof over their kidsā€™ heads etc).

2 Likes

We are not Germany, go sell that fear to someone else, or scare yourself silly if you like.

Doesnā€™t matter where it is, having to feed oneā€™s family doesnā€™t go along well with getting arrested for displaying unhappiness with the Regime.

The same basic rules apply everywhere. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they were even more valid for the US, where the safety net is weaker and economic pressures for survival (mortgages, healthcareā€¦) are stronger.

4 Likes

Which kills me since Kiefer Sutherlandā€™s grandfather was one of the best politicians of the 20th century, who would have been completely comfortable with almost all of what Sanders is proposing.

And Tommy Douglas would not have favoured torture for any reason.

3 Likes

Trump doesnā€™t strike me as being particularly power hungry, and he must know that the president has little real power. Unless he gets off on approving drone strikes. He has had a pretty good life so far with lots of freedom. He can pick any woman he wants and say anything he wants. Whats it going to be like when his days are scheduled in 15 minutes slots, he canā€™t live in his own home or travel in his jet, and the media is always on his back?

2 Likes