Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer of attempting to blackmail him over sexts and photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/07/jeff-bezos-says-national-enqui.html

Paraphrasing Lucius Fox in ‘The Dark Knight’:

“Let me get this straight. We are talking about the richest man in the world, CEO of a multinational tech company, owner of the Washington Post and his own rocket company, and your plan is to blackmail this person?”

download

28 Likes

I would react the same way. Sure no one wants those kind of pictures to circulate through millions of hands. At the same time so what if he’s wearing a towel and doing other typically gag-inducing shit guys do? They are private photos, meant for one other person and otherwise harmless. It seems clear he wasn’t harassing anyone with them. If anyone said “hey you’re the guy who’s dick pic I just saw LOL” I would only have to ask why they looked and did they like what they saw?

I too would be much more interested in how the images were obtained than worried about a scandal. I wish we were all a little less uptight and unashamed then “bullying” and manipulation of this sort might go away.

Burn Enquirer, Burn.

12 Likes
2 Likes

A variation on “shoot the hostage”-- now whether they release the photos or not they get nothing in return, and in the meantime Bezos exposed their tactics and machinations.

13 Likes

um, isn’t blackmail a federal felony?

disbarment if not a prison term, has to be investigated by fbi

12 Likes

“Bezo Exposes Pecker” as one headline I saw.

9 Likes

NY Post, tomorrow’s front page?

3 Likes

The good bit is that some variation of this headline was inevitable given the National Enquirer’s business and its CEO’s name…

Probably them, too, but -

11 Likes

some editors wait their whole lives for such a perfect headline.

18 Likes

What’s pretty wacky is that Bezos was investigating how his texts ended up in the hands of NE, and this blackmail was intended to get him to stop his investigation (and clear NE) presumably because NE had committed some crime to get their hands on the texts and pictures. So double crimes!

10 Likes

On the other hand, couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

2 Likes

Personally, I would have gone with this:

You’re welcome.

p.s. Hey, Ariana? Get at me. I’m in the phone book.

11 Likes

Bezos Stiffens Post

3 Likes

Reminds me of this gem:

“when the KGB tried to blackmail Indonesian President Achmed Sukarno with videotapes of the president having sex with Russian women disguised as flight attendants, Sukarno wasn’t upset. He was pleased. He even asked for more copies of the video to show back in his country.”

5 Likes

Bezos is a net negative in the world and all, but it’s nice to see a public figure not fuck this up.

4 Likes
5 Likes

The phrase “Publish and be damned!” comes to mind.

1 Like

If you want a proper laugh, have a look at the DNS records for the National Enquirer’s website.
Yep, they’re hosted on Amazon Web Services.

3 Likes

2 Likes