Jeff Flake: Kavanaugh's tone was "sharp and partisan," and "we can't have this on the Court. We simply can't."

Meanwhile, Judicial Crisis Network, an ops unit of the Federalist Society is running ads in targeted states and Facebook as well as theater on the ground.

1 Like

When it comes down to showing basic human respect for either 1) a man who drinks too much or 2) a woman who that man sexually assaulted it’s pretty much a no-brainer for Trump.

10 Likes

What surprises me in all this is that it would have been so easy for kavanaugh to slide through confirmation even with this allegation…

For all that I hate the boys will be boys talk in relation to sexual assault, the man was a teenager then, and we all know that if he even gave the very worst of apologies this would have all gone away.

“I’m sorry you feel that way. We were drinking, we were teenagers, and nothing happened, and I’m sorry you’ve felt this way all those years”

Shitty apology? Certainly. Effective enough to have made all this go away before it began? Certainly.

The bar was set at shin height and the man is angrily aggrieved because he couldn’t be bothered to step over it with the most basic of effort.

4 Likes

Jeff? He 'snoflake.

Stepping over, instead of barking your shin on, even a low barrier is difficult when you are stumbling drunk. What saddens me most about this affair is that he will be confirmed at least in part BECAUSE of his angry dishonest testimony. That is what many in the GOP want. After all, a big part of why Trump got the nomination and was ultimately elected is because he mirrored the nearly incoherent rage of a big wing of the GOP. Kavanaugh too that lesson to heart so now Democrats dislike him more and Republicans like him more.

3 Likes

They were talking about this this morning on the radio, and noted that the vast majority of money being spent is in favor of Kavanaugh by conservative groups…

1 Like

Evil is expensive.

Back in my day, evil was cheap and easy to obtain…

3 Likes

And if he had simply withdrawn they’d probably have pushed through some one less controversial by now or close to it.

And if he’d just given simple yes or no answers instead of evading, and eventually going on a partisan tirade. There wouldn’t have been as much controversy in the first place. And he likely would have been confirmed already.

And if the GOP had abided by the usual process instead of trying to fast track it and change the process to hide his history it’d already be over with. Either the nomination pulled or more likely he’d already been confirmed.

They’ve decided they need this done, and they need it done now. For a variety of reasons. But they very much shot themselves in the foot, and the longer this goes on the more they run into those reasons. The closer they get to those reasons. The more imperative it is they get it done immediately. And the less space they have to drop Kav.

This is very much on the cusp of turning into another right wing own goal.

We will see if the Democrats can turn this into a right wing own goal. They have historically avoided that.

Will we en masse repudiate the Republicans in November? If we do, and there is a serious recession, and Trump says it is the Democrats fault…will people believe him? That’s a terrifying scenario.

Personally, I want to see the Democrats use subpeona power to drag each and every one of Trump’s appointees in front of committee under oath, where they tell what happened and what they did. I don’t care if they commited crimes, but if they lie about anything at that time I want to see them in jail.

What makes you think that’ll happen given the whole Kavanaugh explicitly lying to congress hing?

This is the hypothetical future where Democrats have a majority, and so have subpoena power. Fact is kavanaugh could be in jail today if the majority (current, not future) willed it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.