Jeff Sessions tells border guards to separate children from their parents

A few months ago my parents wanted to go on a hike that involved potentially crossing the border into Mexico. Being brown i noped at the thought of being anywhere near a border agent and declined to go. Thankfully my parents decided not to continue the hike down past the border and they had a great time, shame i missed out but i want nothing to do with those jackasses.

10 Likes

disincentivise USED to be a word for ‘here is a reward for making the choice we approve of’, otherwise, nuthin.

but this is the term being used in the sense of ‘here is a punishment, and some fear of more to come, for choosing to be people we disapprove of’. This is just brutality for the sake of grooming.

2 Likes

Numbers 14:18
‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’

Exodus 20:1-26
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, …

This (the bible) is also the book that gives us the story of the Good Samaritan, the original “He’s one of the good ones!”, so I wouldn’t get too excited on Christian perspectives on ‘aliens’. I see no reason to doubt Sessions when he calls himself a Christian.

So much good reporting coming from Reveal! Love their podcast.

1 Like

9 Likes

That’s from the Jewish scripture. The Christians invented their own set of rules.

1 Like

Yup.

Sessions, however, is very much a Leviticus-quoting sort of Christian.

3 Likes

Only when it suits them.

The Evangelicals really like the bit about being gay being an abomination unto God. They’re not so vocal about the religious ban on shellfish.

Essentially, Evangelists enjoy a finger buffet of all the worst bits of both books of the Bible with themselves as the stars.

6 Likes

I have a horrible feeling certain people are drawn to these sorts of jobs. It gives them a sense of power over others that they can’t get elsewhere.

5 Likes

Sessions

3 Likes

Fucking monsters.

Currently almost 1500 undocumented children are unaccounted for. They don’t know what’s happened to them, where they went, since they entered the system. We don’t know how many ran away, how many were given to traffickers, how many were killed…

It’s global, too. I just saw a statistic - 65% of Arab youth now see the US as an enemy, 35% as an ally. The numbers are basically the reverse of what they were in 2016, thanks purely to Trump. The European numbers aren’t much better - within months, the favorable/unfavorable numbers didn’t just switch, the unfavorable number got worse than the favorable number had been. I haven’t seen anything from Asia, but they can’t be any better, either - Trump made it clear he was willing to wipe East Asia off the map if it stopped North Korea from continuing to have nukes. Certainly the Japanese and South Korean_governments_ have given up on the idea of the US as an ally.

I haven’t seen global numbers since mid-2017, but I can’t imagine they’ve gotten better:

The UK has been doing similar things lately with asylum seekers - despite the fact that every single test they used has been shown to be unreliable bullshit.

11 Likes

benn

17 Likes

Not really an immigrant issue. Most conservatives view anyone who’s brown as less than fully human.

2 Likes

Hell, most conservatives think black people immigrated to the U.S.

4 Likes

Jesus that’s awful, especially given this information:

4 Likes

The children will become orphans or adopted by to US “sponsors” and very possibly become human trafficked/child exploited. The exact argument the Trump administration projects on these immigrants will probably end up being perpetrated on their children… by Americans. Sessions is a demon from hell.

2 Likes

Hey @doctorow , I really love your books and your work with the EFF, you’ve had a big effect on me as a free-culture open-source software dev, and I agree with most everything you post on BB, but I really wish you’d qualify your statements. Jeff Sessions absolutely does not speak for all Christians. There are a ton of us who deplore his politics and are actively working against them, who believe the Bible says we should welcome immigrants and take care of our planet and work for economic justice. Jesus had harsh words for people of his day who were like Sessions, calling them “broods of vipers” and “whitewashed tombs full of dead mens’ bones”. Call Sessions a conservative or an Evangelical or a fundamentalist or a Dominionist or a Christian Reconstructionist, but please don’t call him a plain old Christian.

I don’t think he meant it as a blanket statement, i read it as Sessions considers himself a Christian and yet he’s perpetrating these awful things against those that need help and compassion

9 Likes

I don’t think he meant it as a blanket statement, i read it as Sessions considers himself a Christian and yet he’s perpetrating these awful things against those that need help and compassion

Got it, thanks for the clarification. And yes I totally agree the hypocrisy needs to be pointed out.

5 Likes

No one should come here illegally but I do not see why the US cannot work with these people. Separating women and children, isn’t that something the Nazi’s in Germany did with the Concentration camps and what the US did with the Japanese that were living here following Pearl Harbor? Why is it that the US has never looked into WHY so many Mexican people are wanting to come to our country to begin with.Why not tackle that problem. Jeff Sessoms is a pew warmer and nothing else because no Christian that is really a Christian would take a child from their parent just because their parents want to be able to live without the threat of cartels and gangs.

2 Likes