What the Bible *really* says about tearing immigrant kids from parents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/14/what-the-bible-really-says-a.html

8 Likes

“its just another brick in the wall…”

9 Likes

And, who, may I ask, will be held responsible for the inevitable sexual assault that will occur?

11 Likes

That’s still Jesus in a fairly calm mood. This is more the sort of situation that would result in an angrier quote:

And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

25 Likes

Between “God has ordained the laws of the government for the purpose of order” and “a sitting president cannot be indicted for any crime,” the GOP sure is campaigning hard on a return of the divine right of kings for Donald the First.

23 Likes

Let’s make that “Donald the Last”, shall we?

Snark aside, this cuts me to my soul. I never thought I’d see something like this happen in this country. But then, DJT happened and I’m ashamed of the USA.

25 Likes

Or the regular physical assaults and disappearances. I cannot begin to fathom how anyone who calls themselves ‘decent’ can support this, let alone anyone claiming to be “religious.”

22 Likes

That mural and everything else is next level dictator bullshit.

32 Likes

It also says “From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.” Really, anyone who claims the Bible is a source of ethical wisdom at this point is either horrifically evil, or secretly relying on a different source to decide which parts of the Bible to pay attention to.

11 Likes

This same verse was also once used to justify enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act.

7 Likes

Some parts of the Bible are actually pretty horrible:

“Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

God didn’t use to be a very nice guy.

17 Likes

to hell with the bible, what will be important is what voters say in 2020. I think this is Sessions revenge for Donald’s bullying and the greatest visuals ever for Democratic campaign ads.

Matthew 2:13

After they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph and said, “Herod will be looking for the child in order to kill him. So get up, take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt, and stay there until I tell you to leave.”

There’s nothing about Jesus being separated from Mary and Joseph.

12 Likes

When the trials start a the the Hague for all the tRump toadies, I’ll beg, borrow, or steal to be in the audience.

tumblr_m9qifmFgHT1qzvl4eo1_500

6 Likes

Obama. You know this to be true.

5 Likes

I don’t want to hear about the dangers of a “Nanny State” from a right wing blowhard, ever again.

You know what, they’re taking children and then with the other side of their mouths complaining about their guns, that nobody is taking.

Can anyone point me to a road I can block with my body to impede this degradation of my nation?

12 Likes

tragically, humean beings have an amazing capacity to convince themselves that their actions or the actions of people they deeply admire must thereby be noble. admittedly, the shirtless yahoo with a maga hat and a sign telling “furriners” to get the fuck out may not need as much convincing as those folks who are regular church-goers and think they are devoutly religious, but the process is similar.

2 Likes

not gonna happen, we never signed the treaty. resolutely and defiantly refused to.

if justice is going meet up with u.s. officials, it will not be in the form of a legally established tribunal.

eta–periods added to u.s. for clarity.

1 Like

WTF IS UP WITH the decoration in the bedroom?
Two ship’s wheels, a treasure chest and another tiny ship’s wheel, arranged to look like a saucer-eyed face staring at you?

That is some staring-at-goats level psychological shit right there…

1 Like

Everyone from the Catholic Bishops to the Southern Baptist Convention are against this. If I’m agreeing with these two groups, odds are that what you are doing is horribly, horribly wrong.

27 Likes