Jen Psaki compares Christian extremist Mike Pence with even more dangerous Mike Johnson (video)

Originally published at: jen psaki: Mike Johnson is dangerous

4 Likes

Our 18th century founding fathers would not recognize his version of Christianity. Well, maybe they would recognize it, but they certainly wouldn’t share it. They were a bunch of Unitarians, Congregationalists, and Deists who were, above all that, Rationalists. Johnson’s values aren’t from the 18th century. They’re from the 16th and 17th centuries. Maybe even earlier.

7 Likes

This sums it up:
“Virtually nobody had heard of the election-denier and radical, rightwing Christian, Mike Johnson, three days ago.”
“We are learning now he is nothing but Jim Jordan with a rabies vaccine.”

4 Likes

Mike goodness what a bunch of Christofacist assholes.

3 Likes

This usage of the term “deeply religious” kind of offends me.

Jimmy Carter is deeply religious. These people are shallow bigotry, cherry-picking their Bibles for excuses to do what they wanted to already.

11 Likes

… Make America Enlightened Again?

3 Likes

Joe Biden is also deeply religious. Trump, meanwhile, isn’t really religious at all, but he and his family have long been advised by prosperity theologians like Paula White and anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic “positive” thinkers like Norman Vincent Peale.

4 Likes

At least Johnson and his wife are so proud of their religious beliefs they’ll stick by them no matter wha–oh, never mind.

3 Likes

Waving Jimmy Carter GIF by GIPHY News

3 Likes

I don’t know that I agree. To me “deeply religious” and “good person” are completely and totally orthogonal (ETA: One doesn’t imply the other).

Just because they’re using it to support bigotries doesn’t mean they aren’t deeply religious. They’re just using an interpretation you don’t like. EVERYONE cherry picks the Bible. It’s full of contradictions.

1 Like

I never said there wasn’t. I’m just saying it’s not an indicator of what the person is. People are people and religious or not doesn’t change that.

I had to look up the meaning of “orthogonal” in non-mathematical meaning. I interpreted it as “you cannot be both” as opposed to “these two things are unrelated.” Having educated myself, I agree. But wow, difficult to parse without looking it up.

2 Likes

That sort of is orthogonal in the mathematical sense: they’re on different axes at right angles to each other. Maybe I’m just Canadian, but that is definitely a common usage of that word to me.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I didn’t know that usage was uncommon. I’ve added an edit to clarify.

1 Like

Uncommon? I don’t know. Unknown to me? Yes. But now I know, and I do love learning things, so Yay!

And if can be anything the person wants it to be, what does “deeply religious” even mean?

It always seems to get played as an excuse card: “I can do that, because I’m deeply religious!” “You’re not allowed to hurt my feelings, I’m deeply religious!”

From now on, I think my response will be “Yeah? I’m hugely indifferent.”

1 Like

I’m of the mind it’s like “alpha male”. Claim it, you aren’t. It only matters as an external descriptor.

And even then it still isn’t that useful.

1 Like

… it’s a great little word if we remember vector arithmetic from high school, but otherwise it may be mysterious to some people

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.