Jesus! Jesus and Santa Claus are verifiably white

1 Like

Fighting for you and a blue-eyed Jesus!

1 Like

Depends if youā€™re going with the actual historical figure or the various legends that were combined to make the modern-day mythical character. The original Nikolaos of Myra was a Greek who lived in modern-day Turkey, certainly not a ā€œNordicā€ type.

EDIT: Hereā€™s a recent reconstruction of what scientists think olā€™ Saint Nick looked like based on analysis of his remains:

As the Daily Show joked, we couldnā€™t have Christmas today if Santa looked like that because heā€™d probably be placed on the no-fly list.

7 Likes

I sit corrected; thatā€™s a valid point. (Moderately flattering portrait, actually.)

Another old gagā€¦

ā€œJesus was Jewish, right?ā€
ā€œYep.ā€
ā€œThat would mean Mary was Jewish.ā€
ā€œYep.ā€
ā€œā€¦ Funny, I somehow always thought of her as Irish.ā€

(God created Man in His own image. Man, being polite, returned the favor.)

3 Likes

Aside from the obvious absurdity of claiming that Jesus was ā€˜verifiablyā€™ anything, given the dearth of material about him that wasnā€™t written years later (and which doesnā€™t actually talk much about what he looked like), and the implausibility of assuming that a palestinian jew would have been ā€˜whiteā€™ (or, for that matter, ā€˜blackā€™), isnā€™t anybody busy worrying about the melanin, rather than the message, kind of a sucky excuse for a Christian?

They arenā€™t technically engaging in idolatry; but definitely veering well into analogous territory, pathetically fixated on the meaty details of their godā€™s alleged incarnation, rather than the, um, ā€˜godā€™ part. Regardless of whether your claim that Jesus looked like you is plausible or ludicrous, getting hung up on that detail says someā€¦unflatteringā€¦things about you.

4 Likes

Youā€™ve hit on something tangential with me there. Olā€™ Nick? Satan Claus? Iā€™m getting worried about whoā€™s coming down my chimney.

1 Like

Totally. As I enjoy reminding christians, All Men Are Equal.

1 Like

Then thereā€™s the dyslexic demonologist who sold his soul to Santaā€¦

3 Likes

So what is Yeezus supposed to look like?

1 Like

You mean ישועā€Ž ?

Consider his documented date, ancestry, and location in the world. The long odds are that he would look something like other folks descended from the Arabian/Egyptian/Nubian/etc. genepools, rather than the European heā€™s often depicted as. (See above re ā€œā€¦ Irishā€)

Unless you want to introduce completely gratuitous undocumented miracles. But thereā€™s no record of anyone at the time thinking he looked unusual, soā€¦

2 Likes

That, Sir, is a bloody good point.

I was in the British Museum yesterday, looking at a frieze / painting in the Egyptian area, and there are both North Africans and Nubians proudly standing out as participants, all mingled up, in whatever ceremony was being depicted.

He couldā€™ve looked like anything at all. Just like any of them.

1 Like

Satan Claus sort of appears in this movie on a drawing by the daughter of Bruce Willisā€™ character.

1 Like

Trickier question, since unlike Nikolaos of Myra we donā€™t have a body to base our best guess on. (The precise reason Jesusā€™ body is not available for examination depends on your religious leanings.)

1 Like

Duh, who doesnā€™t know that? I was attempting a joke.
Also, technically 38th century Jews as the year was 3760 (given that is really was 2013 years ago.)

On the other hand - according to scripture Joseph wasnā€™t the father and Mary was technically a surrogate mother as Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost.
So itā€™s still anyoneā€™s guess how he would have looked like.

On a related note: given that conception is supposed to have happened on the 8th of December and birth on the 24th of December (forgetting for a moment that none of the calendars used at that time had a moth called ā€˜Decemberā€™) he must have been really a fast tracker.

Thatā€™s what he told her dad, anyway.

2 Likes

At least we can say he has no resemblance to any self-serving, over-emotional rap artists.

Didnā€™t it re-animate?

Did Mary actually agree to any of this?

Both reanimated and transported directly to heaven, depending on who you ask.

Amazing.