Jesus! Jesus and Santa Claus are verifiably white

I’d worship a Marty Feldman Jesus, at least for one Sunday.

3 Likes

For all I know there may be self-serving, over-emotional rap artists in the middle east these days. America exports a lot, and has a lot to apologize for in that regard.

Actually, I’d love to know where and when the folktale claiming that Jesus was the only man who was ever exactly six feet tall got started. Inherently unreasonable, not least because that unit of measurement wasn’t standardized until much later so even if true it would mean he would be more accurately described as some random fraction of some more contextually appropriate unit…

As far as I can tell, this was one of those westward-ho lay-preacher attempts to build a more complete religion when armed with nothing more than a copy of the bible and imperfect memory of sleeping through Sunday services as a child. They needed better arguments for why Jesus should be considered an ideal, and declared that he was “perfect” in whatever way the question was posed.

(Then again, that’s my explanation for a lot of American biblical-literalism fundimentalism, and I can’t support that opinion any better than they could support the exactly-six-feet-tall assertion; I believe it because I haven’t heard a better explanation for how things went so far off the rails.)

According to my sources [1] she actually did (form 397b/4), but the paperwork got filed wrong during the synod of Hippo (393) when a council of bishops listed and approved a Christian Biblical canon that corresponds to the modern Roman Catholic canon while falling short of the Orthodox canon (including the books classed by Roman Catholics as deuterocanonical books and by Protestants as Apocrypha). Possibly a copy survived in the archives of the Russian Orthodox Church but was most likely lost or destroyed during the Russian Civil War (November 1917 – October 1922). There is, however, the off-chance that part of the archives were saved when Wrangel and the remains of his army were evacuated to Constantinople in November 1920.

[1] which I just made up

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice to see him in song-and-dance-man mode for a change.

This topic was automatically closed after 1163 days. New replies are no longer allowed.