Jet packin' Royal Marines board a ship like Iron Man

11 Likes

Watching it, I had a vision of Sean Connery jet packing onto a boat and stripping off the pack and coveralls exposing a tux!

8 Likes

The Savage Builds TV show from a couple years ago showed Adam Savage trying to learn how to fly one of these (in the Iron Man suit episode). It seems extremely difficult to master. In the end, the test flight was done by the Gravity suit inventor.

5 Likes

For me it was more a Benny Hill / Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious remix, but I’m just weird, so anyway…

2 Likes

Didn’t nail the landing

2 Likes

It could make a good recruitment tool. Which reminds me of the 70’s-80’s US Navy ads that showed off the latest weaponry and boasted, “it’s not just a job, it’s an adventure!” Then SNL made an ad showing sailors stuck in port somewhere, mopping the deck and pealing potatoes.

1 Like

I think you vastly underestimate how difficult it is to shoot something small and fast moving.

4 Likes

Countries have always postured, but a war with a China is exceedingly unlikely. The two countries are locked into trillions of dollars in trade that neither wants to give up. Trade is the best peacekeeping force humanity has.

1 Like

reflexes trained by video games and a high rate of fire

5 minutes after finishing my cosplay with working jetpack.

2 Likes

Especially if it can approach from any direction and you don’t get advance warning it’s coming. Not to mention the possibility of a nighttime operation.

3 Likes

I did consider that, but I figure if someone with my motor skills can hit a clay pigeon, then a hardened killer must stand a decent chance of hitting a large man named Baz moving directly toward them at less than 85mph.

(Especially with a shotgun, which would be the better choice anyway since you don’t want to puncture the fuel tank on the marine’s back)

2 Likes

They need to learn from the first Iron Man movie. What, those blasters built into my hands? I just need them to stabilize my flight. The fact that they can shoot plasma blasts 100 yards away is just a happy accident!

Still a lot harder than shooting people boarding a ship with zodiacs and ladders.

Weird, it’s almost as if the Royal Marines might know what they’re doing. More so than armchair Internet [experts], anyway.

4 Likes

… I would never question my betters; I’m just entertaining the possibility that they don’t particularly mean to make this part of their actual tactics, and that the video is more of a promotional tie-in with a British company to help recruit more sixteen year-olds.

2 Likes

Not that small, not that fast, nice heat signature, pretty noisy… feasable.
You’d need the right equipment and training, of course.

1 Like
5 Likes

And what do you think your odds of hitting a clay pigeon would be if you didn’t have advance warning that there would be a clay pigeon flying through the air or what direction it would be coming from?

3 Likes

And you’re on the deck of a moving, pitching, rolling ship?

4 Likes

I don’t think they are ready to do this on a moving, pitching, rolling ship. Which makes me wonder is it ready for emergencies yet either.

Also: advertising trying to make the killing business cool

3 Likes