Jim Bob Duggar, dad of noted Christian molester Josh Duggar: incest should be punishable by death

That’s the first I’ve heard about that. All the reports I’ve seen so far just talk about girls his own age at sleepovers.

This was a member of his own family. It was spoken of in the last Duggar thread, let me try to find a link.

And let’s not forget the story of Tamar and Judah, in which Judah’s explanation for his behavior is like something out of Arrested Development: “It was perfectly innocent! I thought she was a hooker!”

1 Like

The old adage…once you’re in a hole, the first and best thing to do is to stop digging. If Dog tells you to do so, natch.

1 Like

"Allegations like that aren’t included in news coverage as victims of this sexual assault are usually given anonymity. "

Anonymity? You’re aware they have their own TV show, right? And that these aren’t allegations, these are first hand stories, to the extent it’s been told, that the eldest brother molested his own sisters… I’m sorry, it is Josh’s fault and not the media that we have any idea who his victims are.

As there are no charges, your assessment of ‘given anonymity’ sort of rings hollow, as this case is not yet IN the legal system which would grant such things as anonymity to people who had pressed charges.

As this is a media circus, I’m not sure barristry works here.

Well than, the kid really should not have speculated openly about who he molested. Seems he has made a victim of them again.

Using them as a stick would be worse than using them as a ladder as you climb onto your own high horse. I think Josh Duggar using them was the problem. YMMV.

4 Likes

There’s also http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7435668 where he joked about incest in his family on cable TV.

Still trying to locate the source of that one claim someone made earlier, but there’s a lot of blogspam to sift through and the ages of the other victims beyond the initial one who went straight to the cops aren’t widely reported.

1 Like

Dominionism is where Christians want America to become a Christian nation and extinguish any secular or Muslim states (eventually Israel).

On the contrary, they want Israel to be as powerful and successful as possible, because that’s the only way to jumpstart the apocalypse and bring about the second coming! The Jewish people are allies that will help fight the antichrist, and spontaneously turn into a super-literal, legalistic hybrid of Judaism and Christianity right at the End.

I lived in this culture for twenty-odd years, it’s worldview has a very complex eschatological narrative that would make George R. R. Martin jealous.

7 Likes

How dare someone reference the victims of rape/molestation in order to point out the moral failings of the rapist, right?

Right, but eventually Israel is a target after all that gladhanding.

"So, we chose Jana and John David –- we thought why not have a double date," Josh says. The camera then cuts and he begins laughing while he says, "We are from Arkansas!"

It’s so…ugh. Just…ugh.

My heart goes out to this guy’s victims–I hope they can get away from the insanity of that particular community and get some real, worthwhile help.

4 Likes

That was pretty much my understanding; the origin story for the movement involved a Biblical quote comparing children to arrows that you can shoot at your enemies.

1 Like

He has admitted to molestation, though as far as I was aware he hadn’t explicitly stated who the victims were. They aren’t named in his statement, nor in any reports which I have read - which is not to say they haven’t been named elsewhere. It is therefore an allegation that his sisters were the victims, and as such they deserve to be kept out of this.

Being in the public eye doesn’t mean a person gives up all right to a private life, and neither does being raped or molested by someone well known.

I’m asking for a litle respect in the treatment of victims of sexual assault. Truly I’m the worst kind of monster…

1 Like

The TMZ article states that it’s an allegation, and refers to an In Touch article which refers to them as “female minors” throughout, and quotes the heavily redacted police report which again does not identify them.

So, thanks for proving my point, I guess?

1 Like

Well, if TMZ says it, it must be true.

1 Like

The TMZ article makes big claims about his sisters being the victims (which was the part that you quoted, when providing TMZ as a source). But the InTouch article does not reference the victims, nor does the police report. In fact, the TMZ article doesn’t mention where they got that information - they say that they confirmed with law enforcement that Josh was the subject of the investigation, but no mention of who the victims were. So yeah, still calling BS on TMZ as a valid source of information on who the victims were.

Edit: apologies, I mistook the pink P for the orange P in the user avatars. We are on the same side :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, TMZ is a shit source.

Here is the exact admission from him.

Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends," Josh, 27, tells PEOPLE in a statement. “I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”

Here is the supporting evidence for him molesting his sisters on the police report- Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here is a timeline of his crimes-

http://defamer.gawker.com/the-web-has-known-about-josh-duggar-for-years-when-did-1706258269

3 Likes

I read that statement as saying “I did something bad, and in doing so hurt my family and friends”, rather that “I did something bad to my family and friends”. It’s a pretty standard construct in these kind of official statements, akin to a philandering Senator apologising to his wife and children.

The police made some effort to redact any information that could identify the victims here. That they clearly didn’t go far enough doesn’t negate my point that we should leave them out of it, because they’re the victims of sexual assault and shouldn’t be subject to innuendo and gossip.

1 Like

Certainly the police should have considering the high public profile of the family and obvious relation to the rapist, but these are facts provided by the family, to law enforcement.

Why are you trying to conflate fact with gossip? The exact sisters he molested are not named, and none of us are trying to name them. He objectively and without ambiguity molested his family and his family is aware of this. This is all known, unless the family was lying to the police, which appears unlikely considering how far they went to not report it to the police once they found out their son was a sexual predator.

The court of public opinion is not a court of law. We are not obliged to receive and maintain carefully cultivated facts approved by all parties. We react to the best information available to ourselves, and the reports directly from the Duggar’s family and other victims is part of what we take into consideration. That he molested family is neither better nor worse than molesting any other child. But it is a fact, so far as the police report states. And minimizing that fact doesn’t help any of his victims either.

1 Like

This information is not supposed to be public, to protect the victims from exactly this kind of speculation and intrusion in to their lives.

Obliged, no. Common decency is usually the bar which must be slithered under when continuing to look for justification in the salacious exposition of the personal details of victims of sexual assault.

1 Like