Jimmy Fallon sure does love this CAPTCHA joke

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/17/jimmy-fallon-sure-does-love-th.html

1 Like

I can’t watch that guy.

4 Likes

wait… what the hell is going on with the map thing though for real? Do they sift out people to find those who have never once seen a map? You’d expect them to at least be able to recognize the US. We’re constantly bombarded by images of our own country and it does have a distinctive shape. Also Australia, come on it’s literally the only thing that looks that way on any map of the Earth.

3 Likes

That’s cute, but that’s not how Captcha works any more. A moment of silence for a joke that just doesn’t work any more.

5 Likes

Some relief as well, perhaps this is a memorial for a joke that will no longer be. Sail away, tired joke, you’re free now.

1 Like

Yes because it’s funny.

6 Likes

Definitely subjective.

2 Likes

Upon reflection, I can remember people using this same joke to great effect on discussion boards back to around 2005, I think. (My favorite were the ones that in no way resembled English words - Chinese characters, or even bits of an illustration.) Today I am not a robot.

4 Likes

I would be interested in someone checking back with that kid at the end of the “Can you name a country” video a few years after he graduates high school and see how much he retains.

I think some of those people were thrown due to confusion between what is a country and what is a continent.

As for the Fallon video… eesh. That was painful.

I wonder if they put the Americas on the right half of the map in order to mess people up - I usually see it the other way. Turns out they needn’t have bothered.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, which might explain why that one woman pointed at Russia and called it America, and the other who pointed at South America and called it Africa (If I’m remembering correctly).

They should see what happens if the map is also upside down.

2 Likes

Would be interesting with something like an authagraph map actually.

1 Like

Yeah, they probably had to interview 100 people in order to find the handful of ignoramuses shown.

Yakko Warner to the rescue (even if it has some tiny errors): https://youtu.be/x88Z5txBc7w?t=10s

3 Likes

I’m sure all of the regulars here are like that kid at the end of the Jimmy Kimmel video, we can name most countries on the map. In fact I bet they met several people like that kid but only used footage of the kid because it shames the dumb adults even more.

5 Likes

They do. They also set up in tourist spots like the Chinese Theatre or Universal Citywalk. That alone increases the chances of finding someone who’s that ignorant and foolish enough to do it on da telebision.

3 Likes

If you want to test your knowledge (or if you want to test your family, friends or coworkers), here’s a Google Maps map without labels: https://snazzymaps.com/style/24088/map-without-labels (ETA: you need to zoom out as it defaults to NYC on the first visit)

But see, for someone like myself, who only ever sees TV infrequently in clips like this, it’s funny! Hiyo!

Yeah it’s kind of odd though, people must really be good at deleting extraneous data from their brains. So far as education I doubt mine is much better than the average. I went to public school in Texas and then later I didn’t major in anything that required much knowledge of geography yet I still recall having a test where we simply had a map in front of us and a list of countries, seas, rivers, etc. We had to properly label the map with each of the items on the list. Studying for that was a beast, but I bet I can still find Sea of Okhotsk. Sometimes I wonder if it’s less an intelligence thing and more an inability to throw away information that proved useful once. Perhaps I’m a brain hoarder?

2 Likes

Heh, honestly I’m just bitter because YouTube’s algorithm is such that if you watch one once it takes over all of the suggested videos for an obnoxious amount of time. Dumb people on the street videos and game show mistake videos are so plentiful, I get swamped with them from one click. I really want a way to tell Youtube “hey I watched this once or twice but please tone it down?” Maybe there is such a feature and I haven’t seen it. I can banish things and lord knows I do, but I’d love an in-between state that isn’t completely a blacklist but also reduces the flood.

1 Like

I always open such YouTube videos on an incognito window in Chrome (yes, I still use Chrome). Then, once a week or so, I clear the “signed-out YouTube watch history” to zero the crazy recommendations on any further incognito YouTube tabs. I still can’t believe that YouTube actually keeps track even when you are signed out.

1 Like