Joan Didion, author and pioneering "New Journalist," RIP

Originally published at: Joan Didion, author and pioneering "New Journalist," RIP | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Truly an excellent writer, both in form and in her unrelenting honesty – very often about herself. Anyone who wants to write professionally should read her work.

11 Likes

She lived a little longer than her completely opposite number, Eve Babitz. Now the two best LA chroniclers of the late 20th century are gone. Thanks for all the books to both.

7 Likes

“Slouching Towards Bethlehem”

I read that directly after I landed in Northern California 1976, it helped me with the culture shock I was going through. Joan is a word-smith of the highest order.

Love this quote!
“My only advantage as a reporter is that I am so physically small, so temperamentally unobtrusive, and so neurotically inarticulate that people tend to forget that my presence runs counter to their best interests. And it always does.”

Joan Didion (1934-2021)

11 Likes

In the NYRB mailout today this, really large, piece is linked.

Never forget that that racist shit of an ex-president wanted these innocent men murdered.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.