Jobriath and authenticity

[Permalink]

In looking for Jobriath on Spotify (heā€™s there) I also came across Ann Magnusonā€™s ā€˜The Jobriath Medley,ā€™ which seems interesting. Iā€™m listening now.

1 Like

Jobriath the first gay music star? What was Liberace? Chopped liver?

OPENLY gay. Liberace denied it and sued anyone who didnā€™t back down.

2 Likes

Good catch, though. I clarified to make clear that he wasnā€™t literally the first gay man in showbusiness ever. Lol!

3 Likes

I grew up in the 70ā€™s and I knew who Klaus Nomi was then and Iā€™m from the deep South and this is the first Iā€™ve heard of Jobriath.

2 Likes

Or Tchaikovsky for that matterā€¦

1 Like

I vaguely recall hearing of him. I was too heavily into Bowie, Kiss, Rush and the Dolls at the time (16-17) and missed him. Iā€™m hoping someoneā€™s got a torrent going because I lurv that '70ā€™s glam proto-punk

1 Like

I appreciated this paragraph of yours:

That said, thereā€™s something too easy about a conceptual keystone often placed in the arch of Jobriathā€™s rise and fall: the idea that Jobriathā€™s ostentatious homosexuality was not just a failed gambit against the timesā€™ homophobia, but that he was somehow betrayed by the inauthenticity of pop cultureā€™s contemporaneous pretensions and transgressions. That he was too glam for glam.

I could go on further but Iā€™d just start ranting about my problems with the movie Velvet Goldmine again, and who needs that?

Or you could, you know, actually pay for music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/jobriath/id212030566

1 Like

I almost brought up Velvet Goldmine in the post, but I figured it would just confuse people.

2 Likes

Ooh! I want to know your critique (or, actually, any intelligent critique of that film that you would care to point me at). Iā€™ve really enjoyed it a few times, but was only passingly aware of the internal logic of the scene it was satirizing.

Man I love that painting of Marilyn Monroe in Eddie Izzardā€™s characterā€™s office, that is really a painting of Eddie in drag as Marilyn.

Itā€™s too late at night for me to figure out any way to respond to this that doesnā€™t make me sound like a hipster douchebag.

aha
ha
hahahahahahah
HAHAHAHAHA pay for music woo good shit man

Well (and stipulating that, yes, I am a big and chronic Bowie fan), itā€™s not enough of a roman a clef to not be about Bowie, and the arc of the Brian Slade/Maxwell Demon characterā€“simply disappearing until he reappears as the Letā€™s Dance Bowieā€“ignores what is to me the artistic zenith of Bowieā€™s career, the Berlin albums, and since the film further suggests that Maxwell Demon is Sladeā€™s ā€œtrueā€ persona, Haynesā€™ premise goes beyond wrong to simply broken. IMESHO.

I was being a bit cautious above because, in the past, people who knew that I was into Bowie wanted to talk about the movie and thought that I would love it as much as they did, and to say that I disappointed them would be putting it mildly. And the thing is, Haynes is a great director and the actors are good and I totally get that itā€™s really about Christian Baleā€™s character and how he experienced the era and how it affected him, and if Haynes had made just a couple tweaks to Slade, I probably could have accepted it. But, as it is, it reminds me of something that Bowie said in a Rolling Stone interview (ironically, done around the time that the ā€œpresentā€ frame of the film is set), when the interviewer asked Bowie about the numerous unauthorized biographies of him floating around, and Bowieā€™s take was that they all tended to be based on interviews with the same group of peopleā€“the ex-wife, the ex-groupie, etc.ā€“that had a fun time with him back in the seventies, and were more than a little bitter when the party was over. That, to me, is the film in a nutshell.

whew. Better out than in, eh?

Ok, Fair enough. I have a real admiration and affection for Bowie and Bowieā€™s work from the 70s and 80s, but the film was much bigger than Slade/Bowie to meā€¦ so thatā€™s probably why I got more of a kick out of it. I really like the ā€œbitter when the party was overā€ metaphor. Thanks for entertaining my query.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.