Morrissey cover of Jobriath's "Morning Starship" is good, actually

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/18/morrissey-cover-of-jobriaths.html

2 Likes

Talk about problematic faves: the worst gay in show business covering the first gay in show business.

12 Likes

Too bad Morrissey has gone all right wing UKIP For Britan supporter.

ETA and at least for me he still sounds like an annoying whiny kid who can’t get their way.
ETAMORE as I have trouble keeping up with all those crazy parties on the other side of the pond thanks @beschizza

12 Likes

In rock music, maybe… but there were several out gay men during the pansy craze of the 1920s… Gene Malin comes to mind…

But Morrissey is a dick is right on the money… Can he go away now?

16 Likes
14 Likes

Maybe if we all buy him a really, really big bunch of daffodils?

10 Likes

And check out this Jobriath remembrance from the awesome Marc Almond!

But @beschizza is correct that the Morrissey cover is good…

7 Likes

For Britain, not UKIP. Related, but not the same organization.

There is something odd going in the UK, you might call it “reactionary democrats”, people who think decoupling the British state from Europe will lead to more democracy, but only see themselves in the mirror, not the people they stand with or those awfully long knives they carry.

Morrissey might be a bad example, what with him being such a twat, but I’m seeing this a lot behind the smooth veils of facebook.

10 Likes

I’m being a bit facetious! Morrissey is not really the worst gay in show business, either, at least while Milo still draws breath.

11 Likes

Too bad Morrissey’s a huge shithead, a racist and supports the far right For Britain Party. This isn’t anything new either, he’s been saying racist shit in interviews since the fucking 1980s, but his fans let it all slide because of his sad boy song lyrics and veganism.

His former bandmate Johnny Marr is none of those things and actually records good new music, in addition to playing Smiths songs live at his shows. Support him, not Morrissey. His last album Call the Comet was really good and he’s currently touring the US.

17 Likes

Good point!

5 Likes

He was saying racist shit in interviews going back to the 1980s, this isn’t a new development, he’s always sucked but gotten a pass by his fans because he’s a gay vegan who writes sad songs.

4 Likes

24c76u

14 Likes

Miserable meow, surely…?

Bloody vegans and their fur hats. Bastards.

14 Likes

FTFY   

2 Likes

Always complaining, that fella…

merr

6 Likes

It’s okay Morrissey, many people don’t like you…

10 Likes

He would have fit right into episode 5.

1 Like

I don’t understand. Episode 5 of what?

14 Likes