Joe Arpaio's senate run will help a Democrat get elected

That’s fair, but I do vote as hard as I can. :blush:

1 Like

I spent a decade of my life in that shithole, I think my point of view is valid.

[note some sarcasm]

3 Likes

Oh, interesting. So if you were falsely convicted, you might want to turn down a pardon.

4 Likes

Yes, but he can still do plenty of damage on his way out.

2 Likes

Exactly. For a regular citizen a pardon is as good as it gets… for Arpaio the consequences of the pardon are a bit different. Clearly he is guilty but that’s besides the point, he could have potentially fought it and won but he took the pardon. He won’t suffer legal repercussions, that’s what the pardon is about but so it’s now an easy target for his political opponents to use his past against him.

3 Likes

I voted for Christine O’Donnell in the Republican primary. The goal was to get Mike Castle off the ballot, because Delaware Democratic Party voters would have voted en masse for Castle rather than for Democrat Chris Coons. Coons easily defeated O’Donnell in the general.

Bonus, O’Donnell is a total nutjob, so it was very entertaining to have her in the race.

Sadly, even though the plan worked, Coons is no prize. I expected much more from him, given his worthy performance as New Castle County Executive. But Castle had to go, because of his refusal to represent his electorate in the TARP debacle, although he really was pretty good up until that fatal misstep.

3 Likes

Did anybody listen to the end? About the “shithole countries” comment, he says, "Is that something you read in a book?" And his voice absolutely drips contempt at the idea of a book.

Here is the skeleton key for today’s Republican party.

4 Likes

well, with all the uber conservative white snowbirds, I was thinking “shithole of the southwest”, but…

Why can’t we get some nice snowbirds from places like, I dunno, Ethiopia or Haiti?

4 Likes

Now there’s someone who’s lain low for a while. Washington Times hasn’t run a new column from her in a few years. It does look like her campaign is still active, at least on paper; her PAC is still active but has paid out something like a couple of hundred dollars in expenses over the past couple of years while taking in (or at least reporting) no income.

1 Like

Yes, but from a practical standpoint almost no one prioritizes “clearing one’s name” above “ensuring one’s freedom.” Especially someone like Arpaio, who never had any real legal basis for appealing his conviction.

2 Likes

I won’t go so far as to say Arpaio is a lock for the Senate, but I will say anyone running against him is going to be in a tough, uphill fight. You can possibly look at the recent Roy Moore defeat for solace, but keep in mind that almost half the voters in that election voted for Moore, even with the child molesting allegations. Had just a few Democrat voters stayed home, or a few more Republican voters come out, the result could have been very different. Defeating Arpaio is going to be an even tougher slog.

3 Likes

His past should have sunk him decades ago, so I’m not sure it will now.

I have multiple friends that grew up and lived the majority of their life in Arizona and they have no love for that bigot. But that it took so long for him to face any repercussions is very frustrating.

1 Like

And on the outside chance he wins, he won’t be able to do much more damage than the average GOP senator anyway.

Every single office/position needs to be in play. No position should be taken for granted. It is time to flip everything to blue. It’s time to get rid of these F*ckers for good.

We shouldn’t assume beating Arpaio will be easy, but Arizona has never been as deep red as Mississippi. Arizona’s last Democratic senator, Dennis DeConcini, was first elected in 1977 and served until 1995. Mississippi’s last Democratic Senator, John C. Stennis, was first elected in 1947 and was one of the few pro-segregation Democrats who remained with the party after the realignment that followed the Civil Rights act of 1964.

2 Likes

Well, she’s been busy handling the fallout from her misuse of campaign funds, and denying allegations of sexual misconduct, but she does post to Facebook.

1 Like

I can see going Democrat as a halfway point, a valid goal, but let’s keep the endgame in sight, eh? :wink:

Nah, most Arizonans hate the guy too. Even his own county booted him out. If there is a sane and relatively bland Democrat running against Arpaio, they will probably win.

The problem with analogies with the presidential election was that Hillary was a crap candidate who was pretty divisive in her own party. It was not so much Trump won the election as much as Hillary lost it through “Mitt Romney Syndrome”. The feeling that one is entitled to public power and we are being done a favor by electing such luminaries.

3 Likes

Yup. All of them.

https://twitter.com/rantsbydesign/status/954201903595999234

1 Like

In a country where Trump is head of state everyone can win - as long as he/she/it has a Twitter account.

Future president:

1 Like