Joe Biden wins Illinois Democratic primary

Neither one winning is legitimate, because the election itself wasn’t. There’s a pandemic, government says not to gather in groups of 10. Homey, please.

As of right now no. Liquor stores most places seem to be operating on the same restrictions on other businesses. Here in New York that’s 8am-8pm. And since liquor stores can deliver here they’re actually doing pretty good business for the time being.

If I had to guess I’d say PA needs the resources for something besides selling booze at the moment. I’d be curious how many other state store states are doing the same.

If you are near a boarder there is always a 24 hour discount liquor emporium right over the line.

I still seriously doubt that any of my fellow Bernie supporters would be questioning the legitimacy of the outcome if Bernie won.

At any rate, it’s not like polling was indicating a Sanders win was likely in Illinois before the pandemic. Sometimes elections just don’t turn out the way we hope they will.

5 Likes

Folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks.

2 Likes

I’m the guy
I’m the guy
I’M THE GUY

2 Likes

Or, possibly, I could be posting some goofy American electoral thing for the amusement of the non-humour-impaired.

1 Like

It’s good to start this groundswell early, so that by the time of the general election, your group has the ‘evidence’ to point out how Trump losing is due to illegitimate voting practices.

5 Likes

Bernie’s wipe out is a real bummer. Kinda makes me pessimistic about the capability of electoral politics to address the myriad of existential issues we’re facing.

2 Likes

Rendered speechless at last. Maybe I haven’t been clear.

My point is not about candidates, supporters, realpolitik, any of that. It’s about enfranchisement, the very right to vote. And to a degree, faith in and democratic operation of our electoral system. You know, the very same things many dems were ostensibly worried about for the last four years?!?!?

I don’t know how anyone could argue the elections that happened yesterday, under pandemic conditions and directions from the state to not gather in groups of 50 or more (consider Chicago polling places, lines), and with the myriad problems that occured, could be possibly be considered legitimate. No matter what the outcome.

2 Likes

It’s easy - at least for Florida.

“ By 10 p.m. Tuesday, 1,711,881 Democratic votes had been cast in the 2020 primary, surpassing the 1,709,183 Democratic votes that were cast in the 2016 primary.

Edit:

Arizona too.

In Arizona, about 410,000 votes were cast in the 2016 Democratic primary. As of this writing, more than 500,000 ballots have been counted in Arizona’s 2020 primary, and more remain to be counted in the state as well.

6 Likes

Yup, Illinois is the (poor) exception.

3 Likes

And not exactly one of the states Bernie was expected to have a serious chance of winning in the first place.

3 Likes

For the umpteenth time, that isn’t my point. And i’m not trying to convince you how anyone may or may not react in the first place. Why you stuck on it?

What’s more important than any outcome is the process. And the process had many, many, serious problems in IL, to the point that I don’t know how anyone could seriously suggest it was a legitimate election.

If you want to argue it is a legitimate election, go for it. All that other shit about who thinks what or what polling suggests doesn’t speak to my point.

1 Like

Do you seriously doubt that fears over coronavirus - and government recommendations to stay home, avoid crowds - didn’t impact voting??!?!?

Bully for FL and AZ. Voters in IL can go jump in a lake I guess? 250k is a blip? Missing voting machines, long lines at polling places, straight-up shuttered polling places, no worries?

"Turnout in Florida’s Democratic presidential primary saw a marginal increase — about 2 percent — over 2016 levels, rising from about 1.71 million to 1.74 million. But the gains appeared to come from increased early voting, while actual in-person turnout dropped from about 820,000 four years ago to 630,000 on Tuesday.

In Illinois, nearly half a million fewer voters cast ballots in the state’s Democratic primary on Tuesday than in 2016."

There’s always the possibility of an event that effects turnout - there could be a snowstorm in Vermont. A torrential rain in Nevada - which is very unusual for them and suppressed turnout- may have helped candidates with younger supporters.

Still - your concern that this may have suppressed the votes of people most at risk - older voters - and negatively effected Biden’s margin of victory - is not completely without merit. Particularly in Illinois. If Biden wished to argue that the election was illegitimate- I’m open to his arguments.

7 Likes

I think what you’re saying is that a larger cross-section of the voting population are facing similar restrictions on voting due to the pandemic that have plagued Democratic voters specifically – or rather, people from groups who are ASSUMED to be likely Democratic voters – in Republican-controlled areas. Have you been sounding the alarm for years about those disenfranchisements, as well?

4 Likes

This was my youngest child’s first election, so I went with her, but honestly I can understand why a lot of people didn’t bother. The choices were: Trump, Biden, and a seriously-trailing Sanders. What kind of choice is that?

The Democratic primary candidates, since you’re referring specifically to that party, were much more exciting and able to ‘get out the vote’ in the last 3 presidential elections.

This time, there was a collective sense of ‘meh’.

2 Likes

Pssst – posting articles from The Hill only lowers your ethos around here. Know thy audience!

4 Likes

I would still have voted for Sanders

1 Like

Well, as long as Trump’s involved, there’s really not much choice. “Anything and anyone but Trump.”

3 Likes