Joe Biden wins Florida Democratic primary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/17/joe-biden-wins-florida.html

2 Likes

Big fucking mistake Dems.

8 Likes

Bravo. Let’s have another lying, fascist, bankster-fellator as our presidential candidate. It worked out so well the last time.

6 Likes

Every time I read or hear about Jay Inslee in the news I think

“EVEN if you WANT an aging white guy as your candidate … BIDEN IS THE BEST YOU CAN DO?”

8 Likes

Well, fuck.

1 Like

Neither Biden nor Clinton are anywhere near fascist. Be disappointed if you want, but don’t lie about things.

7 Likes

Voting is important and I’m not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, but I’m wondering if any road to victory exists for the Democrats at this point. If Biden wins, he’ll be completely bland and uninspiring and will fail to get out the vote- and if he somehow does manage to actually win the presidential election, it’s business as usual, which is only a “victory” in the sense that it’s not Trump tearing everything apart. Things are not at the point where status quo will save us. We need actual progress, as much as possible, as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, if Bernie wins the primary, people will be more passionate about him… people who don’t vote. If they did, he’d be winning by a landslide right now. So we’d be in the even more infuriating position of having an actual progressive candidate who STILL loses to Trump.

We can’t even count on people to swallow their pride and vote for whichever one wins as a unified party after the primary is settled. The Democrats are divided, while the Republicans form a solid, monolithic wall of support behind Trump. I don’t see this ending well. At this point, it feels like our best hope is a virus that, if we’re lucky, might take out Trump at the same time it’s killing our grandparents. If I’m wrong, I really need to hear it right now, because I’m having a hard time holding it together.

2 Likes

Unless Biden has to drop out for some reason, Bernie is not winning the primary.

Also, people are clearly underestimating the support for Biden; if he was as bland and uninspiring as you say, he wouldn’t be winning the primary. And he has two major advantages over Hillary Clinton; first, he’s not been the target of decades of attacks painting him as the Great Satan, and second, he’s a man. A lot of people who refused to vote for Clinton will be willing to vote for him.

4 Likes

I can understand why some candidates are being screened out

Yang’s not really qualified, Gabbard checks too many wingnut boxes, etc. etc.

but a system that eliminates Inslee and Warren and sends Biden to the playoffs makes no sense to me

6 Likes

I hope you’re right, and I’ll be voting for him if (probably when) he wins, but that still doesn’t equal progress. It’s better than the alternative, but our country’s many, many, MANY problems aren’t going to be solved by his moderate policies. We simply don’t have time to half-ass it any longer, and the Republicans will still be fighting any tiny bit of progress, kicking and screaming. We need a candidate that will fight back instead of trying in vain to reach common ground with a party that supports and is composed of Nazis and criminals.

2 Likes

Things to remember:
Biden marched with MLK and got arrested in South Africa while visiting Nelson Mandela. And never wanted to make cuts to social security, Medicaid and VA. Never reached across the isle to collaborate with a racist.
Trump will use all of these to squash Joe Biden in general election. And guess what? People who wanted Medicare for All and free public colleges will not show up. But yes, you will get Joe Biden as a nominee.

3 Likes

I think more of those people than you, it appears. I think the vast majority of progressives will realize the importance of this election and not cut their noses off to spite their faces.

2 Likes

These Florida numbers are not at all surprising (though when I posted a poll in another thread pretty closely tracking this final result the poll’s legitimacy was attacked). Florida has older voters, and communities for whom any positive mention of Castro immediately rings alarm bells.

I think a pretty big majority of the US population would like some form of this. However, the votes indicate that a hefty sector of the voting population do not see Medicare for All Right Now as a top priority.

Part of the political ramification of CHIP followed by ACA is that some of the most pressing healthcare imperatives were taken care of (at least before the GOP gutted both as much as they could), which removes some of the urgency.

1 Like

OK if you say so. Biden will certainly be the nominee. He’s lucky that Trump is fumbling through through this virus pandemic, so he may actually have a shot. But for the most part Biden and Trump are not much different in terms of policy: woman’s right to choose, financial institutions regulations, foreign policy…
Trump is definitely bigger racist and sexist bigot, but Biden doesn’t have a great track record there either.

And this is where reality splits for us.

6 Likes

Bloomberg already dropped out of the race.

1 Like

This is outrageously false.

3 Likes

There is a thread on the differences between the Democrats and the Republicans:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.