Joe Rogan delights his fans by mocking Asians and making fun of Angelina Jolie's Bell's Palsy

Joe Rogan is an asshole

I have just summarised all headlines on the subject. Everything else is details.

17 Likes

People just hate women and anyone who isn’t a bigoted white shithead so goddamned much that they worship idiots like Joe fucking Rogan enough to die over it. Pathetic. Whole damned thing is pathetic.

Being an asshole has been this guy’s whole fucking career.

17 Likes
18 Likes

Rogan loves nodding along with his guests as they push thoroughly discredited academic concepts with impressive-sounding names. At least two of his anti-vaxxer guests have brought up this “mass formation psychosis” BS (managing to insult the victims of the Holocaust in the process).

He’s been called out on this too many times not to understand exactly what he’s doing. That “credulous knucklehead” act that he’s been doing since his stand-up days is just that: an act.

13 Likes

Dumbasses tend to be fractal - if they’re being a dumbass generally, they’re also being a dumbass about the details.

He’s probably going to try to cancel her. For all of Rogan’s insistence on the importance of “free speech,” he’s had no problems trying to get comedians “canceled” for, what he sees as, breaking comedic codes. (e.g. Carlos Mencia) Clearly he feels there’s certain types of speech that just aren’t acceptable - it’s just that racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny aren’t in that category.

Oh yeah, the people who say, “you can’t say X”… while doing exactly that, repeatedly. Like, what are they trying to prove? Clearly not that “you can’t say X.” That the people getting upset in response will indicate “saying X” will make people upset? Yeah, no shit. Seems like they usually are, in fact, trying to prove that you can “say X,” and normalize it; to make the statement the reverse of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, their primary goal is to normalize being an asshole so there are no consequences for them and their ilk. I feel like this is the right-wing culture war in a nutshell these days - it’s no longer about maintaining an awful status quo, but recognizing they lost all the battles but still want to win the war. I feel like it’s making them more desperate than they’ve been in a long time.

19 Likes

But doesn’t that make the Rule of Goats apply here? I mean, we’re jumping on Joe Rogan for using problematic words when he’s intimating that he’s only using them as “examples”. If we use problematic words, we might as well take a number at the goat farm, too. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Correct, fascists need to be ridiculed and made afraid of publicly expressing their beliefs.

15 Likes

Why are you trying to cancel them? /s

They always complain about cancel culture when someone criticizes them, but when books are being banned (or burned) or laws passed banning the acknowledgement that lgbtq+ people exist, they are fucking silent. All I can say anymore is fuck these fascist assholes.

12 Likes

I wonder if Rogan can make more money than before the controversy? He already has $100 million in his pocket. If Spotify drops him, he can reestablish on a different platform and start “double dipping”, now with even moar publicity for his brand.

Isnt there some right-wing equivalent of Spotify?

1 Like

How? If this plays out as it should, he should become radioactive for most advertisers. If he’s not getting Spotify subscription money, where’s the cash flow coming from? Subscriptions to just his podcast? Even the most popular independent podcasters make a modest middle-class income from it, especially if you don’t include major ad sponsors.

8 Likes

No, I’m saying that according to his usage, that word only applies to him and his fans, not anyone who has any sort of disability.

2 Likes

I did read he just turned down a $100 million dollar offer from some right wing platform…I think it was “Rumble” or something.

5 Likes

I keep hearing about how trans and non binary people are a “millennial” phenomenon (probably meaning Gen Z but not meaning Gen X and older) yet the first trans friend i had was about my parents age. A senior military officer who had lost her job in the early 90s because of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. This is not a recent thing by any means, it’s just that people are having the courage to come out.

16 Likes

Yeah…I am in may late 30’s and only started transitioning 9 months ago despite knowing I was trans since I was 15 or 16 and I only reference that age, because that was when I developed the vocabulary to express the internal conflict I felt…even though I had gender non-conforming tendencies going back to early childhood. The only reason I kept everything bottled up was due to identifying gender non-conformity was viewed extremely negatively in the 80’s and 90’s.

This certainly isn’t a recent thing…just look at the various cultures throughout history that had some type of third gender…or even the fact that the first gender reassignment surgery was performed in the 1920’s or 30’s.

19 Likes

*lolz

'Cuz I’m all about:

21 Likes

No, it’s still officially idopathic, but there’s a lot of belief amongst science-folk that a virus may be involved. Either way, it has absolutely nothing to do with the brain.

Specificity is important here since we’re trying to correct Rogan’s shitty take. :slight_smile:

(disclaimer: I am a past Bell’s Palsy sufferer, I have read way too much about it)

25 Likes

People are suddenly noticing this now? Okaay…

4 Likes

I got it because i had chicken pox twice.

I have no idea what weird shit long covid is going to cause. Bell’s palsy is super mild compared to some of the stuff in Roe Jogan’s future.

5 Likes

So I’m gonna take a stab and assume that someone like Jolie who has a “more than full” schedule, especially when filming, has a shit-ton of stress and sleep deprivation that could cause it?

8 Likes

Okay. Fine. For you maybe.

But I’m saying that it’s really hard to back up your argument when it’s the exact same word that leads to trauma for many, many folks and when there are plenty of words in the thesaurus that could carry equal weight without being offensive.

Fuck, even “asshole” is perfectly fine (which I repeat ad nauseum here on the Boings), because it’s not an alternate use to denigrate a particular demographic of people. And justifying the use of the r-word because “I’m on Spotify” just doesn’t cut it.

ETA: A little background…I love to cuss in everyday language, but I think I’ve done a pretty good job of taking words offensive to certain groups of marginalized folks out of my vocabulary. And yes, the r-word was the hardest, because it was “considered” unoffensive the way euphemisms like “darn” are in the community where I lived.
When I hit junior high, we had two young men with learning disabilities who played on the local extra-curricular soccer teams. Once I got to know them, and how the word (even when used casually) affected their self-esteem, I decided to stop using it – which I admit was a reckoning that should not have needed a physical example for me to see the light.

12 Likes