John Oliver on Brexit: the EU is the least-worst option, and racists support Leave

Eh, since he entered the primary I didn’t think he stood a chance in a general and nothing has changed that opinion. At this point Trump’s losing in polls against Clinton in Arizona, and it’s still early. Clinton’s the embodiment of nothing I like, but she’s actually running a reasonably effective campaign, even if it does nothing for me, and she’s certainly got the ground operations, money, and organization to pull things off.

2 Likes

Just like Jeb.

The establishment Democrats still seem to be operating under the delusion that this is a normal election.

1 Like

Primary elections are a very different game than generals. Every thing that made Trump effective in the primary works against him in the general. And at this point his only possible strategy of finding “missing white voters” is literally impossible and his campaign is already imploding so badly that it looks like they actually could choose someone else by the time the convention happens.

Clinton is a terrible person but she does know how the ground game works. Trump is either clueless or trying to lose.

2 Likes

You think the penguins want us there?

11 Likes

I’m having trouble telling what thread I’m in. (Bonus points if you link the two posts through the image.)

2 Likes

Sod 'em, penguins are bastards.

Ever seen the penguin technique for dealing with predatory seals? They push one of their own into the water as a decoy.

3 Likes

You take that back! Penguins (especially baby emperor penguins) are AWESOME!

1 Like

:slight_smile:

BTW, for anyone who’s into Antarctic things, I strongly recommend Apsley Cherry-Garrard’s book The Worst Journey in the World. Epic-scale courageous lunacy.

2 Likes

I don’t know… what do you think would happen if the referendum passes by a large margin, but Cameron ignores it and stays in the EU? It strikes me that it doesn’t matter if it’s the right thing to do. Much like electing Trump, the people who support this aren’t operating on rationality or on what’s best for the country, but rather on a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic world view.

Ugh… This whole thing is a shit show.

8 Likes

I’ll drink enough for both of us.

Having a bad day even before I looked at the news.

7 Likes

Not going to happen. Cameron will have resigned in a few hours.

I still can’t believe what an idiot that man is.

6 Likes

It’s hideous and looking progressively worse as the votes trickle in. The UK’s hosed, and the EU’s going to take a lot of collateral damage. The markets are already going into full panic mode and the pound’s in free fall. Unless there’s a miracle, tomorrow will be a very ugly day.

5 Likes

We will have done it without having to fight, without a single bullet having been fired. - Nigel Farage

So what happened to Jo Cox then?

Christ, what an arsehole.

17 Likes

Moved my meager emergency flight-ticket savings a couple hours ago. The pound’s gonna completely tank and even with crappy exchange rate commission, I think I’ve saved a couple of quid,or at least mitigated a loss.

3 Likes

I’ll help with the drinking too, since I can’t do much about the vote…

6 Likes

Aha! I wasn’t looking for it, but I spotted the story on Farcebook. It’s dated today–my memory really IS crap, I wasn’t kidding! Must have been while I was trying to sleep in.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/06/23/483197685/u-k-expats-in-spain-nervously-watch-brexit-balloting

6 Likes

Someone that Nigel Farage doesn’t care about?

6 Likes
1 Like

It just feels like you should think that if your side literally commits political assassinations, that’d be enough to make you think maybe you were the baddies and reconsider. But apparently not.

4 Likes