John Oliver on Trump's plans for a second term

An unfortunate side-effect of having spared people from experiencing the atrocities they insist on ushering in is that they truly believe they are invulnerable to the horrors themselves.

9 Likes

That assumes that Trump would leave office…

5 Likes

If he gets back in, he’s gonna die in office.

10 Likes

If he gets back in, he’s gonna die in office.

On January 21, 2025? :crossed_fingers:

ETA quote to which I replied.

3 Likes

Could be, but I’m meaning that he’ll get in office, stay for another term, and then refuse to leave and find a way to make that stick this time.

11 Likes

He wiil, but probably feet first. Whether there will be a democracy afterwards, that is another question.

8 Likes

… basically, everybody is quoting other people paraphrasing Niemöller

Niemöller told a narrative anecdote upon which the poetic version of this quotation is based many times during the years from 1946 to 1979. In those prose versions he named different groups on different occasions. However, even after exhaustive researching I could find NO printed document connected directly to Niemöller quoting or authorizing his exact words in a or the poetic version. In his many narrative (non-repeating, non-poetic) uses in speeches he published he varied some of the groups in the middle, while always starting with Communists and ending with himself

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.